NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what they are, but what happens when you try to drive out of it. I wish I was close enough to a city to take an AutoX course. I have 4 questions. Could someone tell me what happens when you brake when understeering, what happens when you accelerate while understeering, what happens when you brake during oversteer, and what happens when you accelerate while oversteering. Some of the answers seem obvious, but I would like to hear from those with some knowledge. Also, what is the best way get out of an understeer or oversteer situation. Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First, Assume a front drive car for this scenario.

1) Brake while understeering:

You spin like a top (snap oversteer). Basically, you transfer weight to the front tires they grip and the rear (weight transfereed off of them) loses grip.

If you are WAY too fast and brake too hard (lock up the front tires) the understeer will continue.

Gently slowing while you understeer (slowly lift off the throttle) and STRAIGHTEN THE FRONT WHEELS will result in grip without spinning (hopefully). The only solution to understeer in a front drive car is to slow down, just don't do it suddenly.

2) Accelerate while understeering:

You understeer worse, plain and simple.

3) Brake during oversteer:

You spin like a top, plain and simple. The back tires already lack grip, braking just transfers more weight to the front, increasing front grip relative to rear, so the oversteer is worse.

4) Accelerate while oversteering:

Weight transfer to the rear, so you get more rear grip, and you accelerate out of the slide.

Scott

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, it is somewhat different for a RWD car, but the concepts are the same. Weight transfer has the same effect no matter what you are driver.

In a low horsepower RWD car it is virtually identical. The rules only change when you have so much power that you can correct understeer with throttle oversteer.

With RWD if you are oversteering, the proper input is still throttle. Lifting or braking will not help, probably just make the problem worse. Only now, you use part throttle rather than full throttle.

·
Banned
798 Posts
also just to add..if you lift off the throttle in an understeer situation ina front drive car you could put yourself into an oversteer situation very quickly...its actually fun sometimes...but dont try it if your unexperienced..

also on an all wheel drive car...everything above basically is the same as a front drive car..

ghost

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got some personal experience with this two days ago. I took a left turn too fast and sharp and got into understeer. I was going to hit the curb so I let off the gas completely (2nd gear). The car snapped back to the left (it almost felt like a hop) and I quickly corrected my aim and went on my way...with a red face. :D

There are two reasons why I try to stay away from other drivers.

1. Them

2. Myself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts