NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.highwayrobbery.net

The owner of that web site was arrested outside the Inglewood courthouse for distributing literature to red light camera defendants:

Inglewood, Sept. 16, 2004:_ Arrested, Witnesses Needed
At 8:15 on the 16th, I was arrested for distributing highwayrobbery.net literature outside the Inglewood courthouse._ If you saw the incident, please contact me.
The web site is dedicated to exposing cities that rig their red light cameras. There is a huge discussion on Culver City, but more increasingly, Inglewood, Hawthorne, and Costa Mesa.

The site also links to my ticket fighting article, which dozens by dozens have viewed.

I wrote a commentary piece on my blog here:

http://homepage.mac.com/jpalmeda/iblog/

·
Registered
822 Posts
on what grounds? What ever happened to freedom of speech? Or are they're trying to use the Patriot Act to cover that up???

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
They probably use unlawful gathering, meaning you have to get permission to gather into a large group (more than 3 people) for protests. They should keep the gathering less than 3 people at a time (meaning handing out no more than 2 flyer at a time), or submit a petition to do this legally, or have someone with video camera taping the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently what happened was that the person was previously ordered by a judge not to ever help red light camera defendants or to distribute literature about fighting red light camera tickets inside the courthouse. Prior to his arrest, he had a scuffle with a police officer over helping other defendants with threats of arrest (The police officer grabbed him). The officer went to the judge and that's what brought on the court order.

The arresting officer cited 166(a)(4) PC, which reads:

166. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b), (c), and (d),
every person guilty of any contempt of court, of any of the following
kinds, is guilty of a misdemeanor:

(4) Willful disobedience of the terms as written of any process or
court order or out-of-state court order, lawfully issued by any
court, including orders pending trial.

Attached to the order was a notice regarding entering courthouses in LA County, and specifically mentions demonstrating, literature distributing, and weapons:

No demonstrations, distributions, or solicitation within 10 feet of entrance. No person shall in any way interfere with individuals entering or leaving a Los Angeles County Courthouse by demonstrating, the general distribution of literature or any other materials, or soliciting sales or donations within 10 feet of any entrance to the grounds of such a courthouse, or within 10 feet of any line of individuals waiting to enter such courthouse, or within such courthouse without a written space permit, written license, or lease granted in accordance with state and local laws.

So he took his literature distribution outside, in compliance with the order and notice, and was still arrested.

The court does not like it when someone tries to disrupt the assembly line of guilty rulings.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The web master went back to the courthouse the next day with a reporter and a big sign, completely in compliance with the court order.

Here's the court order...

Here he is...45 feet from the entrance and 35 feet from the exit...

10 minutes later...

He was ordered completely off of the plaza or be arrested again. Bear in mind, he was in compliance with the court order.

The only thing saving his ass? A member of the press was with him.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is pretty typical. I was coming up highland the other day, and right when the crossing hand stopped flashing, the light turned yellow, and then immediately red right after that. I was coasting up to the intersection (cant remember the cross street) thinking about how easy it would be for someone to run a red there, when I noticed that the intersection was one of the ones that took your picture. It is unfvcking believable that they can pull this shlt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts