NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i brought the car to the dealership, they installed my stock air intake system (parents insisted i take it to them even though i know how to do it.) and then i drove it for a good 15-20 miles after that and the CEL came back on. Im REALLY thinking that its the o2 sensors now. Anyone know of a way to bypass this rather than to pay outta the a$$ for this. PLEASE HELP. thanks

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Wat exactly are you trying to bypass

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im trying to make it so that the engine light wont go off from it. I heard you can buy a resistor type of wiring that will stop it from sending the signal. Know what im talking about?

·
Registered
562 Posts
from obd-codes.com
A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
There could be a vacuum leak.
There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Clean the maf first

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cleaned the MAF, dunno what else to do now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Possible solutions include:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Cleanthe MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible

More info I found, check the stuff you can do and reply back

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys, i will check the engine bay right now. Keep the info coming just incase

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i heard that if....

the car is running funny ... has no power on low RPM it is ur MAF
if the car smells funny !!! ... than it is your O2 sensor

that true? cause this is the thing.

I had a AEM CAI and the weld broke without me knowing. and it went unwelded for 4-6 months. The air filter was also without a wheel well so it was filthy when i took it out. I then installed an ebay intake with their air filter. Now i got the stock air box in and the car still bogs at lower rpms. and when i try to rev it seems to lag until it hits 3K RPMS. should i replace the MAFS? i cleaned it like 3 times already

·
Registered
562 Posts
the car is running funny ... has no power on low RPM it is ur MAF
if the car smells funny !!! ... than it is your O2 sensor

that true? Could be but not 100% sure

Volt test with a meter of the maf and 02 would be more sure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how would i go about doing so?

·
Registered
562 Posts
http://www.radphys.com/DIAGRAMS_ENGINE_ECM_GUIDE1.jpg
use this info for the maf test pin vg + e2
use this info and the link for o2 sensor to test o2 pin ox1a + e2
on some models the connections are in a black box labeled "Diagnostic" and are easy to get to instead of ecm connections
on the maf the middle or 3th wire at the sensor is the one and any ground will work in most cases instead of using e2 . Check the chart maf is 1.1-1.5 idle
If these tests look good check for vacuum leak if you didnt already

1 - 13 of 13 Posts