NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to start the story off, i bought my 00 celica gts 6speed a couple years ago and it came with CEL VSS error (cant remember the code) the speedometer wouldnt work but it finally came down to removing the aftermarket alarm system (fixed the speedometer issue).

couple weeks after this happened i started getting these p0300 p0304 etc. and i didnt notice any performance issues with it so i continued driving it (had to get to school) but over the last few months ive noticed a cold start small misfiring going on, as well as it seems to smell really rich at this time too. ive noticed that sometimes when driving ill hear a little popping sound from the back (im guessing its fuel burning out the exhaust)

slowly looked into it, had a friend up at a goodyear shop tell me its prob a vacuum leak, we diagnosed a small leak in the intake manifold so i replaced the gasket and cleaned everything around it really good, inspected the valves (seem really clean for 100k miles, i use Seafoam's intake treatment which might be why i got the intake leak in the first place) and cleaned the throttle body which had pink wax'y goop in the holes on the bottom (throttle body heating from what i understand) and got everything back on and back together, no improvement.

took it upto the shop and had my friend help me do a smoke test on the intake and it seems that theres no serious leaks, hooked it into the air intake just before the throttle body (i think, foggy memory) but the only place it came out was down by the gas tank filler neck, but from what i understand (what my friend explained) that its supposed to come out there because of expansion of the gas? idk.

looked into it further and found a Toyota Service Bulletin EG003-01 which says my year and model can have issues with ECM giving codes of p0300 (misfiring of random cyls,) and says to replace fuel injectors and replace ECM 89666-20082 with new WCM 89666-20083. ive now purchased the new EMC 89666-20083 used on ebay, and ive learned thats the part number from the 2001 model and my biggest question is, do i need to take it to the dealership to have it flashed? thats what the add on ebay says, in order to put my vin number into the ECM. not sure how ECM's work but id love to save the $140 from the dealership if I can, talked to a tech at the dealership and they didnt even seems to understand what i was asking for "uhh did you mean a software update?" no, kid. i dont know what i need, im trying to ask you! but im worried to try plugging it in and cranking it in the fear ill damage something. and im low on funds, spent about $700 or more chasing down this issue now and im at the point i need help and cant seem to get anyone to help out. had a sore deal at a shop that I paid $100 for a diagnostics, got told it was a fuel injector and spent $95 on a new one and didnt fix it. so out nearly $200 on that, but oh well. i just need my car running so i can make it to school in august. please help out guys. ill try to have the alternator tested and possibly look into replacing the fuel filter and/or pump (even though i think it wouldnt be that on the basis of its running rich)

oh also i just read another post saying the TSB is not a fix for actual misfiring? but just a reprogramming of the ECM so that it isnt sensitive to throwing the code? if anyone could help straighten that out before i flash and install it i could save the $100+ flash cost and send back the new ECM and get $300 back.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh also the reason they thought it was the fuel injector is that they unplugged the fuel injectors plug and it didnt run any different (i did this a previous time before changing intake manifold gasket with all the plugs and injectors but didnt get any differences in idle) could this be something important? i did replace that injector but didnt fix it, it seemed to be getting electricity (the guy plugged in some sort of bulb to the injector plug and it lit up, not sure if that even means if its getting enough current or if the signal could be off or faulty due to the ECM? and help is very appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: finally talked to a guy willing to try and help me out at the dealership, he said that the new ECM should be plug and play. (emphasis on "should") so i went and tried it out and it started up just fine but still has a misfire/dead cyl. I checked the 4th fuel injector, the one that seems dead and I unplugged it with it running and again , no change in idle. so with a new injector and a new ECM and a still misfiring cyl, what next? wiring to the injector? i will do a continuity test from the plug to the ECM connectors and see if i cant find anything.. not sure what to do or test for other than continuity and then ohms to see if theres high impedance from the injector to the ECM, dont know how to test the voltage as its a pulse signal or if its getting enough current. any help or advice would be so appreciated celica community!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,464 Posts
Yep, check the wiring to the injector. Swap injector to a different cylinder?

BTW, the early year ECMs are hard-coded/non-flashable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts