NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the code is and I've done some research on the forums and found that right around 100k our cats start to fail. I believe in Doja's thread, several people recommended replacing the cat. I'm going to check the 02 sensors but I'm almost certain there's a leak due to some funny noises coming from below.

Anyways my question is whether or not this would be a good time to just upgrade my exhaust system and go with an aftermarket catback and have a muffler shop make me some new piping? I've been neglecting my Celi of mods since my attention is on my SC but maybe now she's begging to be worked on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Tall exhausts with the exception of the Kazuma and OBX race exhaust are axle backs. If you're looking to do it on the cheap, just replace the cat and replace the muffler/rear pipe assembly. If it were me, I'd replace the cat, get a vibrant resonator, run new pipe, and Ed it with a vibrant/magnaflow. Just depends on how legal/how much money

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're looking to do it on the cheap, just replace the cat and replace the muffler/rear pipe assembly. If it were me, I'd replace the cat, get a vibrant resonator, run new pipe, and Ed it with a vibrant/magnaflow. Just depends on how legal/how much money
This is what I was thinking about doing. I think I read on here that the Magnaflows were hi-flow too. I'm not trying to go too crazy especially since I have a money pit project going on. This car is stock too so it wouldn't make sense to go with a Kazuma loud level exhaust to me.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
good luck finding a Kazuma, plus its not worth the $$$ just have a muffler shop build a new exhaust including an aftermarket CAT.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
^^ yep. Truth be told, I wouldn't even bother getting a 'high flow' cat. You won't notice the 1/2 hp difference

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
i had a kazuma for 2 years and it was worth every penny. Bolted right up and looked just liked the TRD.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
People in this thread talking shit about the kazuma. For those who never had one you have to weld it to the pipe. I had a shop fab something up where it was a direct bolt on. Weighs a lot less compared to stock and looks better

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we are getting away from the original subject here. Anyways I'm going with an aftermarket cat, custom piping, and a new muffler. Then I'm calling it a day

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Its a public forum, you already had your answer

/thread

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a public forum, you already had your answer

/thread
Yes and this wasn't supposed to be a "your idea/product suggestion is shit" thread. I simply asked if this would be a good time to upgrade the exhaust system.

For the record, I said I didn't want an exhaust as loud as Kazuma. Not sure where people thought I said I was going to buy one

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE*

CEL went away after fill up. I was low on fuel and I'm close to needing an oil change. I checked the oil and it looks clean. Not sure what's going on but I'm glad it's gone. I'm at 97K miles now =/

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Why are you being a bitch? Youve owned a celica for what, a year?

Your celica only has 100k man up and fix it right. Anyone that has money can upgrade at anytime. Just stick with the stock setup, the celica is no race car

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replacing the 02 sensors and oil this weekend. New exhaust system and maybe some TRD lowering springs from Rafa next month ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
UPDATE*

CEL went away after fill up. I was low on fuel and I'm close to needing an oil change. I checked the oil and it looks clean. Not sure what's going on but I'm glad it's gone. I'm at 97K miles now =/
Mine came and went from about 120k until 193k when I finally replaced the cat. Never caused any issues with how the car ran, but towards the end the CEL stayed on for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So my CEL p0420 came on and I had a new Cat welded in, since then there are times where I get the rotten egg smell that means a bad Cat, mind you this is a brand new Cat. Im going to see if it can possibly be the O2 sensors, but i heard almost a bubbling from my exhaust at one point along with the rotten smell, although occasional, I dont think it should even occur with a new Cat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts