NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
New to the fourms but I've been lurking around for some time now.
Excited to finally be a part of the community!

On to the issue:
My 2000 Celica gts has been throwing a P1349 code for some time now
It used to have a P1693 but ever sinced I cleared it, it has not resurfaced.
I have tried multiple things such as changing the oil and using seafoam to clear any gunk. I also replaced the Ocvs, and recently cleaned both filters. My mechanic checked my lift bolts and said they were fine.

I used to not get lift at all (Limiter bounced at 7000 rpm and lift did not engage) but after having done all the things mentioned above, I managed to regain lift, although it feels kind of sluggish (maybe I've just gotten used to it :p ).
The weird thing is that I only have lift when the engine is below mid temperature. Once the engine warms up and is at the midway point, lift does not engage and it cuts off at 7000.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
1900v

Additional info: I recently replaced the engine for a jdm 2zz

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lift cannot engage unless the coolant is above a certain temperature.. I can't remember the exact number but that is what it runs off. If the engine is below said coolant temp it will not engage and just rev limit at 7000rpm.

I would check the lift bolts. did your mechanic physically take them both out and inspect them? if you own a 2000 GTS I would be certain that your intake side lift bolt is broken - unless it has been previously replaced. Maybe check them yourself.

Very strange occurrence... Try changing the spark plugs after you check the lift bolts.

I really think you should check the lift bolts yourself...

·
Registered
35 Posts
P1349 isn't lift error.
This is error that indicated that your VVT system doesn't properly operate.
So if you have replaced Vvt OCV valve, then you should check Vvt filter and VVT hub.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
do the VVT check out. with the engine idleing take off the VVT OCV connector. jumper 2 wires from your battery + and -. touch the wires to the 2 pins inside the OCV plug and if the engine stalls out then you know that one is working.

do the exact same thing with the LIFT OCV. if it stalls then LIFT is working properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys hope this thread aint too dead. Just got done with finals so I finally have time to work on the car.
So I just checked the lift bolts
https://m.imgur.com/a/tj7mH
And I Just cleaned both ocv filters again.
I havent done Smaays suggestion yet but ill have it done by today hopefully.
Anyways prior I still had a P1349 and this whole situation is very confusing

Everyone is saying that the engine must properly warm up before lift can properly engage, but my situation is the total opposite.

Lift engages when the engine is cold- medium temperature, and does not engage when warm.
Could this be a problem with a temperature or pressure sensor?

I feel as if im exhausting all my options... Should I take the car to a mechanic to have it properly diagnosed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also there might be a coolant leak. Still trying to get to the bottom of it, but ive noticed a small puddle of fluids wherever I park and my coolant has been disappearing faster than usual lately.

Also should I check for anything else while the engines open?

UPDATE: So I put the whole thing back together and went for a test drive. LIFT engaged while the engine was nice and warm! Im hoping it stays this way but its too soon to tell. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys. So I forgot to mention that yesterday I also changed the ecm.
I recently bought the jdm 2zzge from a store and they also supplied me with the ecm for the jdm engine.

Yesterday I put that one in, and just today on the freeway The dreaded check engine light came up :wtc: (incident happened cruising in 6th gear at 3k rpm)
I plugged in my Obd scanner (autel maxiscan ms300) and I got a link error so I cant tell what the error is...
Guessing I should swap back to my old ecm?

Also, I called an ex toyota mechanic reccomended to me by one of my friends, and the mechanic said he couldnt help me due to the fact that a P1349 error is so broad it would be too difficult to diagnose.

Im going to probably change the oil this tuesday in hopes getting rid of any gunk in there. Is there anything left to try at this point? Both Ocvs are working fine. I cleaned the filters not more than 50 miles ago. Lift bolts are A okay. Engines fairly low milage and seems to be mechanically sound. Ecm does not look like the problem. Cleaned the MAF sensor too.

Am I missing anything?

1900v

ps: I want to thank you guys at Newcelica for Chiming in on the topic. Its nice to have people to talk to about this and I appreciate all the help

Edit: forgot to do smaays test. Will do soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
well of course your ODBII didnt work. you have a JDM ECU in there. they are totally different languages, and possible pinouts.

put the USA ECU back in. then do what I told you to earlier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usa ecu back in.
Did the vvt Ocv checkout. It made some clicking noises when I connected the wires to it, but the engine did not stall. Is this the elusive problem maker?

·
Registered
35 Posts
1st of all. i'm sorry for my english. it is hard for me to write long sentenses
USA (1999-2002) ECU and JDM (all years) ECU have similar pinouts
USA (2003+) ECU use flat-response knock sensor, but JDM always use resonant... so...
there are some simple videos about vvt diagnostics here and here
Also. You can take off VVT OCV connector on running engine and if you hear a change of engine working, then your vvt hub may has a malfunction
that fact that LIFT is working on cold engine shows that VVT is not working properly, because VVT OCV valve doesn't active while engine is cold.
So you have working LIFT, but i'm suggest that you have Rev Limit about 7 000 rpm.
but when engine is warm. ECU is registering VVT error and prohibits lift's activating.

I wish you success!

P.S. For checking VVTL OCV you shoud run engine on 2500+ rpm, because oil pressure is too low on idle for propely LIFT engagement.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If your celica is 2003 or above you'll need to put the JDM knock sensor in it to run the JDM ECU.

That blue connector is for the butterfly valve in the stock airbox. Don't worry about that AT ALL.

Follow Smaay's advice there - he is on the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay vvt ocv does not stall the engine. The lift ocv does stall the engine. Does this mean the vvt ocv is faulty?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please, read my post #3.
You can install vvtl OCV instead Vvt OCV. If engine will stall on Vvt valve test, then OCV is dead. If not... Then Vvt hub is dead.
There are no any options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, my lift stop working after install the turbo. Before turbo lift working great. No error code, bolts is good. I read more options and try everything but still don't work. Engine lost power in line when lift must start.

Turbokit I bought used, but in perfect condition. I had one problem with AEM FIC ECU, because PnP conectors is for 2000-2002 GTS. So I cut out PnP and connect wires to wires like ECM PINOUT for 2003 GTS. Can be problem somewhere there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts