NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
washed my car then decided to paint the side skirts white (meanwhile i get molly or kami sides to go with the upcoming kami kit) and i also painted the front grill toyota emblem black. up close it looks like sh!t but it doesnt look too bad from afar. ive been waiting to do this for weeks now... im glad i finally got around to doing it. enjoy :gap:

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
I want to paint my front emblem.

Do I actually have to take off the bumper to get the grill off? Or did you just take off the emblem w/ a hair dryer?

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks pretty nice. how long did it take?
thnx! to take them off, about 5 minutes. to prep them (clean, sand, clean again) about an hour with 320 grit sandpaper. priming took about half an hour with 10min breaks inbetween each coat. i applied about 2-3 thin coats of primer with one 12oz can of white primer. painting itself... about the same time, maybe a bit longer cuz it had to be even all around and i only had 2 lil 5oz cans of paint (i couldnt find any bigger cans of super white II paint at autozone or kragen). then i waited an hour for the paint to set and then i applied like 4 coats of clear coat which took me about 45 minutes with 10min breaks inbetween as well... then i let that dry a bit then i put them back on after another hour... they are currently still curing so im not gonna drive until tomorrow morning to go to skool.

so overall, it probably took me around 4-5 hours of actual work. i was doing other things meanwhile i was waiting and lost track of time sometimes so i took a lil longer (around 6 hours)

sry my answer was so long lol. i saw that u have a white celi as well so i might as well tell u how i did it in case u wanna do it :gap:

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to paint my front emblem.

Do I actually have to take off the bumper to get the grill off? Or did you just take off the emblem w/ a hair dryer?
I didnt. i just taped and masked the whole bumper off with paper and stuff and i painted it while it was still attached lol :gap: kinda risky, especially with a white car, but i dont think it turned out too bad. but it turned out that there was a tiny pin-size hole on the paper right under the emblem so paint got thru. very little tho, hardly noticable. but i would recommend taking the bumper off to do it, it would be sooo much easier. there is one screw u gotta take off. there is a write up on how to remove the grill in the install guides section and it tells u to pull the bumper forward by unbolting one screw and unscrew the grill while ur holding the bumper back. i tried it, idk what kind of a screwdriver u need to get in there, but i didnt have one that size cuz space was limted so i just did it my way.

if ur gonna do this, remember to SAND it... i forgot and none of the paint stuck on properly and it turned out like ass. and sanded the paint down (whatever stuck on) and after a few coats it kinda corrected itself.

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Yea lol thats what I was afraid of. Tryed to get it off today without the bumper off and it's hard to get that screw. I just painted my wheels black and ran out of paint so I guess I'll get some more.

Did you prime it before paint? Looks good, can't wait to do this when it's warm out.

Everything looks awesome so far.

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea lol thats what I was afraid of. Tryed to get it off today without the bumper off and it's hard to get that screw. I just painted my wheels black and ran out of paint so I guess I'll get some more.

Did you prime it before paint? Looks good, can't wait to do this when it's warm out.

Everything looks awesome so far.
thanx!

i wanna paint my wheels black soon...

no i didnt prime it, but u should. it would have helped me alot haha. all i did was like 3 coats of black paint and 2 coats of clear (i still had some left over from the side skirts). i ran out of primer cuz i used it all for the side skirts.

i wasnt even planning on painting that today. i just found an almost-empty can of black paint (rustoleum rust-resistant paint) that we used for other stuff and i just kinda decided to do it meanwhile i was waiting for the side skirts to dry. ive been wanting to do it for a while but i knew u would probably have had to take the bumper off so i was just gonna wait until i had another reason to take the bumper off.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
thanx!

i wanna paint my wheels black soon...

no i didnt prime it, but u should. it would have helped me alot haha. all i did was like 3 coats of black paint and 2 coats of clear (i still had some left over from the side skirts). i ran out of primer cuz i used it all for the side skirts.
Ok cool thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I didn't clear my wheels so it looks more matte black. I'll do the same with the emblem lol. I just can't wait for the warm weather so I can paint. Did my wheels in about 30 deg weather and it turned out ok. If you want pics let me know.

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok cool thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I didn't clear my wheels so it looks more matte black. I'll do the same with the emblem lol. I just can't wait for the warm weather so I can paint. Did my wheels in about 30 deg weather and it turned out ok. If you want pics let me know.
damn its hot as hell over here in cali right now. how cold is it over there these days?

yea post some pix up or msg them to me or whatever so i can see how they came out. what color were ur rims before?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
nice work! i was gonna do that but decided to get a whole kit :/ i was just to lazy to do it lol
car looks great though!

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^thnx! yea a body kit is definately on my list of things-to-do-before-i-die. i want the kami front, either kami or molly sides (preferably molly), and either a kami or veilside rear with either a CF kami or TRD wing. but thats outta my budget right now. next up... LOWER! :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.