NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to paint my interior (the door panels, trunk plastics, etc) to flat black. is there a certain paint and primer to use when painting plastics? i tried painting my engine plastics before using plastic primer and regular spraypaint and then going over it with clearcoat but the paint was bubbling in some parts and it wouldn't stick that good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use the same way before and i got bubbles too so i try the paint from autozone/advance auto parts, the duplicolor TRUCK/VAN/SUV black and put primer first also duplicolor brand...and it works and no bubbles so far.

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks good. does it matter wat kind of primer u use?

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^yea thats what i used to primer my engine plastics. idk maybe it bubbled because i didn't clean the plastics well enough

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
^^yea thats what i used to primer my engine plastics. idk maybe it bubbled because i didn't clean the plastics well enough
Maybe. I think it could've bubbled because the engine bay does get pretty hot. I would just ensure it's clean before you apply primer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I started doing the same thing, using rustoleum primer and duplicolor paint. you should sand a little before starting, but i am sanding a lot since i want all the parts to have a smooth finish, i'm doing a satin clear though and not glossy.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
if you're just painting the interior plastics, and you want a flat black color, your best bet is duplicolor vinyl dye.

no priming or sanding required, just point and shoot and you'll be very happy with the results. make sure you have cleaned the surfaces first though (duh).

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Cool! How did you do the airbag cover on the steering wheel?

I use the same way before and i got bubbles too so i try the paint from autozone/advance auto parts, the duplicolor TRUCK/VAN/SUV black and put primer first also duplicolor brand...and it works and no bubbles so far.

·
Registered
279 Posts
on the steering wheel, i put epoxy mold it there and then i put bondo, then i put primer...im gonna repaint the steering wheel again, i use Dupli color TRUCK/VAN/SUV car paint

·
Registered
809 Posts

did you sand everything smooth to do that or did you just do glossy clear and use the primer to fill in the stock texture?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes i put a lot of primer and sand a little everytime the primer dries
Man that seems like such a better way. I actually was sanding down the plastic itself till it was smooth. and that takes a while. Glad i only did a few parts that i was gonna redo anyway.

how long did you let everything cure before you put it back in the car. I let my stuff dry for a day but it seems the center console never cured properly

·
Registered
279 Posts
about 3 days, i sand it first a little then i put a lot of primer so that the primer can hold better to plastic, im about to change it to white next week so i will sand it again then put directly the white color on top of the black and i will repaint again some of the white coz i got some bubbles from my paint that i do a long time ago when i dont know about anything lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
about 3 days, i sand it first a little then i put a lot of primer so that the primer can hold better to plastic, im about to change it to white next week so i will sand it again then put directly the white color on top of the black and i will repaint again some of the white coz i got some bubbles from my paint that i do a long time ago when i dont know about anything lol
I haven't done much in my car black, i've actually been debating whether or not to do the interior white. that way it would reflect the interior lights better. But since my car is carbon blue, i'll probably stick with black. GREAT tip about the priming, what grade sandpaper did you use to smooth out the primer?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.