NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine thats fairly mechanically inclined, mostly with hondas and acuras and such told me that instead of paying the 3500 bucks or whatever for a turbo kit for my 00 gts mt i could piece one together for roughly around $1500 or so. is this possible to do and if so what all do i need for a complete turbo? (im a turbo noob lol, dont know a lot about them yet) also is there anything extra that i would need for my gts thats different from other cars i.e. honda, acura etc, etc, etc?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i mean all new parts for the turbo, nothing used.

·
Registered
903 Posts
"parting togeather" cheap works for hondas since they have such a huge aftermarket and so there are a ton of extra pieces floating around...

For the celi the kits are by far the cheapest way to go. Trust me, I tried to do exactly what you are talking about.

I got a lot for the money... but the headache of putting it togeather is intense and you end up spending more than the kits

and btw... my engine just blew, somewhat unrelated, but sad nonetheless

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
what your friend told you is true...you can put together a turbo kit for less than $3,500.
I can only recommend this to people that know what they are getting, and have access to shops that can make the manifold, the IC pipes, and the exhaust. Also, people who are upgrading parts for more power, go the custom way.
Remember that the price for the current turbo kits include all the combinations of parts and labor to make everything fit and work well all together. Also, you are getting all the parts at once, and not looking for each one of them separately. Last but not least, the companies have to make a profit out of it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
There arent any after market parts and turbo pipes for the Celica. That alone will cost you a lot toegher with the intercooler. Plus turbo, programmable system, injectors, and misc parts. No, you won't be able to get them at 1500 pre made. If you really want a cheap turbo, browse around the Parts fo Sale forum. Everyonce in a while someone sells their kit.

That or you have to build one yourself from ground up and maybe you will be able to piece together something more cheaper.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please enlighten me if you will, what are all the parts needed for a celi turbo? like i said im a turbo noob lol

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
most of the "aggravated with noobs" experience ones will tell you to search the forum...but some of them are turbo manifold, bigger injectors, programmable ecu, turbo, intercooler and piping, blow off valve, 2.5"-3" exhaust, turbo timer is recommended, boost gauge, manual boost controller; thats some of the stuff you will need.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my friend told me that most of the turbo parts except the manifold is pretty much universal. what things arent universal if there are more than the manifold?

·
Registered
903 Posts
00whitegt-s said:
my friend told me that most of the turbo parts except the manifold is pretty much universal. what things arent universal if there are more than the manifold?
intercooler piping, injectors must be pencil style, downpipe, turbo must be the correct size

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx for the info everyone, i appreciate the lack of flamege (for the most part) ;-)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
read the Turbo FAQ at the top of this forim - it answers all the questions you asked and then some - pay special attention to the seciton on custom turbo kits.

·
Registered
905 Posts
let me tell you. I bought frau's previous sf kit minus the turbo. Man, you can't turbo for under $1500. Our cars are fragile so you don't want to mess the motor up. Wideband to me is a must in my book. Plus it'll save the time at the dyno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts