NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
What is the point of having a BBK in the rear? Rear brakes do such minimal work.
brake balance would be why I would get bigger rears, keep it the same % ratio as stock

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
brake balance would be why I would get bigger rears, keep it the same % ratio as stock
Even then, at what point have you thought, sh!t a simple pad replacement cant fix this?

I find it really really hard to believe that on the streets you would be able to say that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Even then, at what point have you thought, sh!t a simple pad replacement cant fix this?

While pads will come close to fixing the balance issue, it wont cure the natural size imbalance. It's braking Torque that needs to be equalized to stock ratios from the reading I've done. There are several articles about brake balance etc, in super street and the like.

As I understand it while yes, bigger rotors are better for heat dissipation, due to the increased diameter there are extra inertia forces at play, on top of a stronger front caliper, there is more force up front then stock, this would equal the front brakes absorbing most of the braking inertia thus shifting weight further forward. I have a TRD BBK, and it stops crazy fast, but I do notice more front dive(albeit marginal).

I think the limiting factor of useful rear rotors on our cars is the lack of weight in the rear. The car weights 2500 stock, 64% of it front bias. that means that only about a 1/3 of car weight is over the rear, do some stripping and a CF Hatch and I wouldn't be surprised to see it shift to somewhere around 70% Front bias(static). Backs aren't needed because, If you look at break force comparative to weight distribution, there isn't enough weight over the rear under heavy breaking, to take advantage of any signifigant additional braking torque applied to the rear. I suspect this is why Toyota chose only Fronts for the kit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is the TRD logo on the caliper...and you can download a PDF template on the trdusa.com website to check for wheel fitment.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
so the concern is the protrusion of the caliper or the diameter of the 340mm rotor?

Both...

You can print the PDF template from trdusa.com website and check fitment against your wheels. Make sure to print in 100% size and not "fit to page" ;)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts