NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Celica Bros & Sis,

I recently acquired an Apexi Power FC ECU and in the process of tuning, I have been noticing a trend. No matter what changes whether advancing or retarding the IGN Map or enriching or leaning the INJ Map in the cells I still find to have high levels of knock ( in the 40 to 50 level spikes) under high loads and I am unable to get the condition mitigated. I am starting to think that it may be a false knock. I have lightweight pulleys and aftermarket mounts which creates an imbalance to my engine and naturally causes more vibrations than normal and maybe one of the vibration frequencies might be matching the trigger value for the OEM knock sensor. Does anyone know of any knock ear device I may use with my engine to positively determine if the knock condition is actually occurring?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Celica Bros & Sis,

I recently acquired an Apexi Power FC ECU and in the process of tuning, I have been noticing a trend. No matter what changes whether advancing or retarding the IGN Map or enriching or leaning the INJ Map in the cells I still find to have high levels of knock ( in the 40 to 50 level spikes) under high loads and I am unable to get the condition mitigated. I am starting to think that it may be a false knock. I have lightweight pulleys and aftermarket mounts which creates an imbalance to my engine and naturally causes more vibrations than normal and maybe one of the vibration frequencies might be matching the trigger value for the OEM knock sensor. Does anyone know of any knock ear device I may use with my engine to positively determine if the knock condition is actually occurring?
Power Fc is Known for Having False Knocking. It bases it's knocking from a built in microphone near the block (by actual knock sensor I believe). My advice is probably to mount some kind of recording device or live audio transmittal for you to actually listen to it. That being that said 40-50 knock it is still on the acceptable arena but pushing it since 60 is when the check engine light will actually pop on and off. But yes those variables you mentioned might haven an effect on it, more the mounts than the pulleys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking on going that route of the engine chassis ears. Thank you for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts