NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a shop equipped with a Datalogit or equivalent tool that has tuned PFCs in a Celica before and knows what the hell they are doing. Any recommendations? I am not counting on Datalogit units anytime soon and need to knwo what my options are befor I plunk down $1000 on a PFC.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
already posted this in performance, but I think Brainstorm is an authorized Apexi tuner. You may want to call and ask them. They do mostly Miatas and Subarus but the co owner has a really sweet 560 HP supra :) They also have a bitching 4wd dyno.

I could tune for you, but I'm so backed up with work right now its not even funny so you probably wouldn't want to wait for me to have time anyhow.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
same here I'm willing to tune it, but it sounds like you haven't bought the pfc yet.

I'd make sure you plan for at least 6 hours of dyno time at a minimum 125 hr rate, before you purchase the pfc or it will make a nice paperweight until you save the money for tuning.

I'm guessing by the time you bought the pfc and got it in your hands will probably be in 6-8 weeks, boosted may be available by then, if not i'll step in.

-J

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Nu Concept said:
brainstorm charges $250 per hour with the o2 sensor in the back of the tailpipe. good deal?
Never said they were cheap - anyways it depends on what you're looking for - they are expensive because their tuner is well renowned. The guys in the Subaru and Miata communities that have ponied up the bucks have for the most part been satisfied.

anyways they aren't authorized apexi - I thought they were but I double checked and they aren't - looks like XS is the only game in town except some of the board members like myself or Illusive.

I'm tuning a Turbo GT with a Power FC right now - its going fairly well - the Power FC is an excellent tool and its pretty easy to work with.

The place I have a deal with atm gives me $100/hr for dyno time with the wideband hooked up (thats tailpipe or bung if you have one) plus whatever I charge. I'm looking into buying a second wideband (I have on permanantly installed in my car) to use just for tuning though - could save me a lot on dyno time. But I tell everyone the same thing - a good thorough tune is going to be about 10 hours of tuning minimum - and thats assuming the car is in good shape. If you've got the wrong plugs, bad or dirty sensors, loose or misbuilt pipes, etc. then it is necessary to replace that stuff before you can finish the tune properly.

By way of example the car I am working on now has a bad fuel pressure regulator (can't maintain pressure over like 2000 rpm), a bad leak at the #4 injector, plugs that are about 2 steps too hot, a sticking idle air control valve, a throttle plate with a big carbon ridge, and it also had an intake full of oil. (including the MAF)

I've got the tune on hold while I chase parts to get it running right before I can start tuning it again. Otherwise - garbage in garbage out - you just can't tune a car thats running wrong otherwise even after you fix it the tune will still be off.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
sounds like Nu Concept ;)
Nope - Nu Concept doesn't have a Power FC and I am not working with his car - we have had a parting of ways.

And you don't need to know whose car it is - if the owner chooses to let people know what is being done to their car it will be up to them to tell folks. Remember though - not everyone that drives a Celica posts on this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So are we talking about 2Gs to get the PFC, get it installed, and get it running properly?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
I'm tuning a Turbo GT with a Power FC right now - its going fairly well - the Power FC is an excellent tool and its pretty easy to work with.
That would be me :)

Originally posted by Boosted2.0
By way of example the car I am working on now has a bad fuel pressure regulator (can't maintain pressure over like 2000 rpm), a bad leak at the #4 injector, plugs that are about 2 steps too hot, a sticking idle air control valve, a throttle plate with a big carbon ridge, and it also had an intake full of oil. (including the MAF)
That would be me also :(
I think Pressure Regulator just went, that was part of the reason why it ran like crap. I knew the plug was too hot part of reason why I do not drive long distance and hard, never cleaned air controled valve, intake has oil from the blown turbo, same goes for the MAF. Shop swapped the turbo but did not clean anything :(

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by GTSwhitey
So are we talking about 2Gs to get the PFC, get it installed, and get it running properly?
Yes if you find someone to borrow datalogit and wideband O2.
Looks like Boosted 2.0 has the wideband O2 and Illusive have the Datalogit. If you hurry you can use mine to tune your car while Boosted still have my car.
Worst case buy from monkeywrenchracing.com I believe they are giving commander with the powerfc sale, you just get to tune 5x5 block at a time which would slow down the tuning time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do you guys think about buying a used one that has already been tuned (you may have seen it on the other thread). I am considering this but the biggest problem is that i think my car needs to be "cleaned up" a bit too (sensors checked out, MAF cleaned, etc.). Im not really sure what i need to check out before putting the PFC in.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
thing is all cars are a little different - iy has to be tuned specifically for your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told that it will still increase the hp in my car significantly and that i would only need to do "touch up" tuning (a few hours on the dyno, as oppose to like a whole day).

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
GTSwhitey said:
I was told that it will still increase the hp in my car significantly and that i would only need to do "touch up" tuning (a few hours on the dyno, as oppose to like a whole day).
assuming it was tuned for a car with pretty similar mods and a properly functioning MAF this is most likely true.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds good-and what about getting a mechanic to check out my MAF and my other ish to make sure my whole system is clean... i dont really know what i am supposed to be checking for. Is there anyone on this site that you know who might be able to help me out for a decent price. Most mechanics dont know what im talking about when i try to explain to them about this stuff so i figure someone from this site knows specifically about celicas.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I know one but hes gonna be pretty busy for the next couple of months :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any idea on how long it would normallt take to check everything out?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You can check valve clearance, clean MAF, check compression, inspect plugs, inspect air filter, and confirm normal operation in abour 2 hours if you know what you are doing and have the right tools and a good scan tool.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts