NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In process of assembling it. Pretty much all done except ancillary components. Need to repolish the intake manifold and throttle body today.

Discovered one bad thing though yesterday. My exhaust manifold is cracked! What's absurd is that it was not cracked when the car first spun the rod bearing, and I heard a leak as soon as I put it back together, which I at the time assumed was a gasket leak. I somehow cracked the manifold removing the engine from the car! I'm pretty sure this happened because I tried to remove the engine with the downpipe in place, which caused the downpipe to hit the tunnel and probably put a bunch of force into the manifold. There is no soot around the cracks either, which supports my theory :thumbdown

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
THAT....is a beautiful thing. Keep up the good work! (sorry bout the manifold :sadwave: )

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
oh Jesse that sucks, was it the cast iron manifold from XS? when mine cracked on elements car, SF made an equal length manifold to fit. he can probally make you another one if you want to go that route....i dont know if you can repair the cast iron...

who painted the block? when ATS did my 3S-GTE i went with red because with the block painted black its harder to see any oil leaks.. loogs good anyhow

·
Registered
980 Posts
Very clean, looking good there. Is that the XS Manifold you have that cracked? (wouldn't be surprised if it is)

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smaay said:
oh Jesse that sucks, was it the cast iron manifold from XS? when mine cracked on elements car, SF made an equal length manifold to fit. he can probally make you another one if you want to go that route....i dont know if you can repair the cast iron...

who painted the block? when ATS did my 3S-GTE i went with red because with the block painted black its harder to see any oil leaks.. loogs good anyhow
Its the tubular manifold. The ridiculous thing is, it didn't crack from use. It cracked during the damn engine removal! I took your suggestion of trying to remove the engine with the downpipe attached. At least with my kit, there was no way the thing was going to come out like that. At one point, I realized I was hanging up the downpipe and putting massive load through the whole manifold. I didn't realize it was cracked until I heard the exhaust leak when I put the engine back in the car, which I assumed was a leak at the downpipe gasket since I had reused it. For the time being, I'm just going to get it welded up tomorrow so I can get the car going, but I may look into the SF manifold.

As far as the painting, I did it myself. It was about 2.5 hours with masking tape followed by 5 minutes of painting :chuckles:

Its amazing how slow engine assembly goes when you try and meticulously clean every piece as you put it back together. I want the thing to basically look brand new when its done. Spent a few hours today reworking the polishing on the intake manifold. Took this pic which I thought turned out pretty cool.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Man - that engine looks nice, especially the cylinder head! Wherever did you get such a wonderful cylinder head???? ;)

Make sure an doublecheck the tightness on all the bolts on the head - I didn't torque any of them down to spec per-se.

Seriously though - it looks awsome. That really sucks about the manifold though - does XS still sell them individually?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
:king:

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
looks good.

are you going to repaint your valve cover now that your celly is blue?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boosted2.0 said:
Man - that engine looks nice, especially the cylinder head! Wherever did you get such a wonderful cylinder head???? ;)

Make sure an doublecheck the tightness on all the bolts on the head - I didn't torque any of them down to spec per-se.

Seriously though - it looks awsome. That really sucks about the manifold though - does XS still sell them individually?
Yep...head is sweet! Thanks again. I'll double check all that little crap attached to the head. XS does sell the manifolds separetely, but I have no idea what the lead time is. I'm also hesitant to buy another manifold from them.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wow - that engine really is a work of art :D

Looking forward to seeing what crazy numbers it kicks out when you get it all back together :)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Looks good Jesse. Congrads on getting the block put back together. Everything turned out awesome (Well accept the cracked manifold but that can be fixed) I'm excited to see what kind of numbers you put down.

What compression did you go with? 10.1? Did you go with any head work?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Jessie,
Bad @ss!!what type of intake is that???A custom 1 off,or a brand name??? Looks awsome over the stock one..Will that fit a matrix 2zz ya think???? Any chance youll share were ya got it from :eatpop:
Rio

1 - 20 of 28 Posts