NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post here much but I thought you all might like to see some pictures of my set-up. Enjoy.

This is a picture of the kit going in - the stock heat shield is retained due to the offset manifold adapter. Notice the silver sodered hard water lines.

Jspeed sidetower braces

turbo kit and body work in process

before modding

·
2ZZ-GTE
695 Posts
sweet ride, I especially like the front end, Keep it up.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
how come it looks like you have the brace on only 1 side?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey, sweet ride. So, I don't know anything about the 6th gens, does it come stock with turbo like that? How are they stock and how do they compare to stock 7th gens?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carbonized_GT said:
how come it looks like you have the brace on only 1 side?
smiles. Over 2000 posts and you come up with a question like that? :) j/k

The brace just wasn't installed on the other side yet at the time of the picture.

does it come stock with turbo like that? How are they stock and how do they compare to stock 7th gens?
Not in the U.S. They come with either the 5sfe or 7afe - both econo low power engines (105-135hp crank). In Europe and Japan, you could get the 6th gen GT4 which was AWD and had the upgraded (3rd gen) 3sgte. My engine and tranny came from a 1993 JDM MR2T clip (2nd gen).

The 7th gen is a better car than the 6th gen in just about every way stock. There are only three things that I like about the 6th gen better. (1) the looks (very subjective and surely not a popular opinion on this board); (2) they came in a convertible which I like in a "fun" car; and (3) the 6th gen GT mounts work for the 3sgte which makes the conversion easier. Also, the axel and intercooler issues in the 6th gen are straightforward and the path to making the 3s work in that chassis is well paved. Based on board activity, I would bet that there are almost 100 3s conversions in 6th gens.

Thanks for the kudos guys.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
G-man said:
The brace just wasn't installed on the other side yet at the time of the picture.
Ah ok, i think you were goin for nascar style and wanted rigidity on the left side only. LEFT..... LEFT...... LEFT :gap:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thats slick, I see you got the hood as well.
What type of numbers are you expecting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My estimate is 260whp at 16psi but I have been having too much fun to make it to the dyno so far. Its basically a stock 3s with a slightly larger turbo, 3" exhaust, aftermarket intake, large intercooler and EBC. Stock ECU, injectors, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, and stock AFM still in place.

Driving this car is a real pleasure. I can spin the tires in any RPM in 1st or 2nd gear just by pressing the gas pedal (no clutch work). 3rd gear chirps at WOT are common. The stock LSD prevents almost all torque steer.

My next mods are traction bars and wider tires. I am going to go with some 235/40/17's.

Upgrading the engine further safely would require an EMS which I probably won't do because 260whp is enough in a FWD vehicle since I am traction limited anyway.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Neat car looks great! Always glad to have a fellow older Gen 3S powered chap around :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts