NewCelica.org Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Is..... is ur brake pedal staying on the floor when u push it down?? If not i wouldnt worry about it, id change ur spark plugs first then we can move to other potentials

2000 GTS Turbo
Yes. It doesn’t move up unless I move my foot to the gas pedal. And okay. Just regular spark plugs or performance ones? Cause I’ve seen a few different kinds

·
Registered
348 Posts
1 thing at a time... get NGK Iridium plugs and get a new valvecover gasket with oil gasket sealer. Theres 2 spots u need sealer for on the valve cover mating surface.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
1 thing at a time... get NGK Iridium plugs and get a new valvecover gasket with oil gasket sealer. Theres 2 spots u need sealer for on the valve cover mating surface.

2000 GTS Turbo
Okay. Will do. Any idea how much you think those would add cost in total? And what 2 spots will need the sealer?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dunno 40ish for plugs prolly and idk how much on valve cover gasket. Make sure u tell them its the gts with the 2zz engine. Else ull get the wrong gasket. They wont have it in stock most likely so call ahead an make sure they order it in.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dunno 40ish for plugs prolly and idk how much on valve cover gasket. Make sure u tell them its the gts with the 2zz engine. Else ull get the wrong gasket. They wont have it in stock most likely so call ahead an make sure they order it in.

2000 GTS Turbo
Ohhh okay. Thank you so much and who should I call?

·
Registered
348 Posts
So I’ll probably have to buy the valve cover online on like rock auto or somethin like that maybe ?
No have them order it. Theyll normally get it same day if u order before 10am. I stay away from online retailers when it comes to parts. If a critical part fails aftee you replace it u have to wait DAYS to see the replacment part then have to ship it back and wait for a refund. Screw that.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No have them order it. Theyll normally get it same day if u order before 10am. I stay away from online retailers when it comes to parts. If a critical part fails aftee you replace it u have to wait DAYS to see the replacment part then have to ship it back and wait for a refund. Screw that.

2000 GTS Turbo
Ohhh trye. I didn’t think of that. Thank you so much and let’s hope it’s not too much money wise cause I still have to fix my reverse shaking problem which could possibly be my o2 sensor or icm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Theyll hav plugs no 1 hardly ever had the valve cover. Theyre not common engines

2000 GTS Turbo
Finally got some pics of my codes from the diag. Gonna need a whole new tune up as soon as possible but as of right now, it’s doing fine most days if I start it without the heat, inside underglow, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Figure out if you have a bad coil, or possibly multiple coils. Pick one coil, mark it so you don't forget which one it is, reset the codes and swap it with another one. Restart the car and see if your misfire shifts cylinders... You will have to do this 3 times. This is the easiest and cheapest way to figure out if you have something more serious. Check the grounds on the car. One is in front of the engine on the left side of the intake manifold, follow the wire and make sure both sides are tight and clean. The second one is in the transmission below the battery, so you will have to remove a lot of stuff to verify.. I'm also wondering if the IACV was ever done... I messed up one time and I took it apart and didn't change the gasket after I cleaned it and I had multiple misfires as coolant was going into the intake system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Figure out if you have a bad coil, or possibly multiple coils. Pick one coil, mark it so you don't forget which one it is, reset the codes and swap it with another one. Restart the car and see if your misfire shifts cylinders... You will have to do this 3 times. This is the easiest and cheapest way to figure out if you have something more serious. Check the grounds on the car. One is in front of the engine on the left side of the intake manifold, follow the wire and make sure both sides are tight and clean. The second one is in the transmission below the battery, so you will have to remove a lot of stuff to verify.. I'm also wondering if the IACV was ever done... I messed up one time and I took it apart and didn't change the gasket after I cleaned it and I had multiple misfires as coolant was going into the intake system.
This is probably going to be a Stupid question but where exactly are the coils at? And I’ve never done the IACV. I don’t know what that is to be honest. The only things I have done to my Celica was replace the heater core, alternator (which was a pain in the butt), replace the fuel injectors, underglow inside and outside of the car, competition subs, and still working on my remote starter. And I do know that my coolant is constantly being empty in my reservoir and it overheats if I’m idling for too long like if I’m in a drive thru for too long while idling or in park, it’ll over heat. It’s weird.

·
Registered
348 Posts
... i would suggest not trying to DIY. It takes alot of knowledge and mechaincal skill to diag and fix problems like this. What would seem simple for us may be very complex to some 1 with no mechanical knowledge...

First things first.... replace all your spark plugs and fix ur oil leak. Worry about the coils after that. If we keep boucing around without fixing the issues already noted then we will get no where. With the tubes filling with oil that will cause missfire. If the plugs are fouled that will cause missfires. Fix those issues first. The longer these issues persist the more damage could be done.

The coolant leak is also very inportant but will involve tools of its not easily spotted.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with @mxaustin Leak and sparks first... if you haven't done the IAC then someone else might have, but that's more than you want to do right now... and coils are those black things that go on the spark plug.. I only suggested this as it appeared you and your dad were already replacing spark plugs. Leaving the coils unbolted and pushed all the way down for an easier swap from one cylinder to the other... no driving obviously, just turn on and see your codes no change or change make note and turn off, move the coil over and start over again... fairly straight forward...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
... i would suggest not trying to DIY. It takes alot of knowledge and mechaincal skill to diag and fix problems like this. What would seem simple for us may be very complex to some 1 with no mechanical knowledge...

First things first.... replace all your spark plugs and fix ur oil leak. Worry about the coils after that. If we keep boucing around without fixing the issues already noted then we will get no where. With the tubes filling with oil that will cause missfire. If the plugs are fouled that will cause missfires. Fix those issues first. The longer these issues persist the more damage could be done.

The coolant leak is also very inportant but will involve tools of its not easily spotted.

2000 GTS Turbo
I plan on replacing the spark plugs as soon as I get paid next Friday but the oil leak I can’t fix because it’s down near the engine and my dad says that I’m just gonna need a whole new engine to stop it because changing my timing cover gasket is too hard to do by myself let alone with my dad and I’m not sure how much shops would want for them to fix it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I agree with @mxaustin Leak and sparks first... if you haven't done the IAC then someone else might have, but that's more than you want to do right now... and coils are those black things that go on the spark plug.. I only suggested this as it appeared you and your dad were already replacing spark plugs. Leaving the coils unbolted and pushed all the way down for an easier swap from one cylinder to the other... no driving obviously, just turn on and see your codes no change or change make note and turn off, move the coil over and start over again... fairly straight forward...
So basically just swap each coil out to see which one gives off the code or changes it?? And I’m not sure where the IAC is but I do know that I might need a new ECM. And we didn’t change the spark plugs yet. We were just checking to see which one had oil in the tube because his trucks misfire is due to his spark plugs being covered in oil as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oil runs down. It very simply could be ur valve cover leaking all the way down it. ur dad he doesnt know what hes talking about.. the timming cover also will have nothing to do with ur engine running rough. The valve cover will.

Replace valve cover and plugs at the same time. Then we can mess with coils after we figure out if it makes it better. 1 step at a time and the longer you go without fixing these issues the more damage u will do to the engine and your exhaust. Keep that in mind

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Oil runs down. It very simply could be ur valve cover leaking all the way down it. ur dad he doesnt know what hes talking about.. the timming cover also will have nothing to do with ur engine running rough. The valve cover will.

Replace valve cover and plugs at the same time. Then we can mess with coils after we figure out if it makes it better. 1 step at a time and the longer you go without fixing these issues the more damage u will do to the engine and your exhaust. Keep that in mind

2000 GTS Turbo
Could the valve also be why my new alternator is covered in oil? And very true. I’m saving up to fix it at the moment. Just don’t know how much I’m looking at in total yet.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts