NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my story. I purchased a replica VeilSide kit through the group buy in the forums, through Baldhead J. I got both excellent service from him and AFS Motorsports. After 3 days of hauling the body kit around town (I live in Abilene....the city that time forgot), to over 30 different paint and body shops, only ONE would even attempt to pre-fit, paint and install my body kit. The day came for the pre-fit. After about an hour, they tell me news that in no way, shape or form will this body kit fit my car.

Now, every single person in this GB has had this kit fit like a glove on their Celis. So, I call AFS Motorsports, and Shawn, being the most outstanding person there is, let me return the kit, even with their policy of no returns on body kits. After doing some research, and talking with Baldhead J, there is no difference in body dimensions whatsoever between the >2000s and 2003s. This body shop told me that the dimensions were changed drastically on the 2003s, and that is why the kit wouldnt fit. Soooo, Im chalking this whole situation up to the body shops (and mine) ignorance.

So, here I am, with no body kit, out $350 (shipping to me, and back to AFS) and not a single body shop in town that will do the work for me on the next kit I get. I have come to you guys for help on getting any info on a really good shop in the Dallas area that will do the work, do it right and has a frickin clue about the automobile world. Sure its over 160 mile drive for me, and Ill have to leave my car for the week, but I want this done right. And God knows, if it isnt a truck or a tractor, noone in Abilene has a frickin clue how to work on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Who is?

The only people who made money out of all of this was Fed Ex. Unless Fed Ex has some super secret deal with AFS, I dont really see how anyone is trying to rip me off........ ;)

The body shop didnt charge me a cent for their time they took to try to pre-fit the kit......Thank God.

And AFS is giving me a full refund..... :)

A little more help than "They are trying to rip you off" is why I posted this......Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just to ship'em back-n-forth is $350??......geeeez I didn't know it was that much?!......
n-e wayz......how 'bout w/w kit??......I heard they fit better and price's nice too......

oh yeah!!.....about the body-shop tellin' you dimensions changed is not true.....
I work at Fred Haas Toyota in Spring TX......I ask the body-shop manager and he said that's a bull-crap.

wish you live closer to H-town......there're a lot of shops who can do it right w/good price......

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yeah there is no difference in body dimensions at all. Like you said, its a town where time has forgot so they probably dont do a lot of body kits and custom moldings. SOmeon dallas, help this guy out! steve? zach?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
toyota of dallas does good work, for cheaper than most dealerships, ask for Shari if you go, tell her zach w/ the silver celica told you.

if not, man install it yourself, i installed mine with the help of toyobandit and xerodgrees. id be happy to help you out one day.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey man, I'm from Abilene too and I KNOW there isn't anybody in that damn town that can do a decent job. All the cars there are POS's. So happy to have moved.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. :) Ill either give Shari a call, as you suggested, or try to find out how to do it myself.

utah_gonz: I wish I were you. This town is awful. The only shop in town that would do it, is Trick Trucks. OMG are they awful. I moved here from Minot, North Dakota, with about a population of 30,000.....I come here, with over 4 times the population, and Minot had a WAY better economy and social status. Pretty sad.

**Edit. I wouldnt mind going with a WW kit, but unfortunately, they wont fit on a 2003. Atleast that is what is on the official WW site. :( The front lip is different.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah. Gotcha. Forgot to mention, the shop wont "fix it". Thats one of the things that made me realize how crappy the shop is. They just said it didnt fit, and they wouldnt work on it, and gave it back to me. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
they are full of ****. ****in bumkins...!!

their dumbasses probably tried to put it on backwards.

Black Halo.... its sooooo simple to test fit your kit yourself. always do it b4 you go to the shop. the front is only held on by like 6 bolts and the underbody plastics. the rear is more difficult, cuz you have to remove all you plastics in the trunk but those come right out.. if you need help, ask one of us here or if yer in dallas, post a thread on clubcelica.com (most of the dallas peeps post there)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
ToyoBandit said:
they are full of ****. ****in bumkins...!!

their dumbasses probably tried to put it on backwards.

Black Halo.... its sooooo simple to test fit your kit yourself. always do it b4 you go to the shop. the front is only held on by like 6 bolts and the underbody plastics. the rear is more difficult, cuz you have to remove all you plastics in the trunk but those come right out.. if you need help, ask one of us here or if yer in dallas, post a thread on clubcelica.com (most of the dallas peeps post there)
:werd:!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts