NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st half- compression test
performed a compression test: warmed up engine, removed all 4 plugs at once, disconnected injectors, accelerator to the floor during the 10 cranks for test. 1 tablespoon of oil for the wet test.
RESULTS
1st: dry-250/ wet-295
2nd: dry-200/ wet-220
3rd: dry-240/ wet-285
4th: dry-210/ wet-282

the results are all over the place, an earlier cel told me #2 has been misfiring. but from the numbers, i cant really determine what is the cause of it, maybe its piston ring?

2nd half- the aftermath
something must have happened to cyl. 1 because as i was placing its plug back in, i first thought i misthreaded but once i pulled it out, i see that the arch has been bent into the tip. i try some walmart plug i had stashed, and a piece of the insulation chips off as im screwing it in! now what was first a compression test has become a dismantling of the head to hopefully find some piece of garbage that sneaked into my engine.

please help me diagnose my car's compression problem. thanks all.
vincent

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
turns out something didnt fall in the gap, it was the deep socket extenstion of the compression gauge. however that screws into the spark gap, but its also screws into the standard bolt of the gauge, so it just decided to grip the spark plug threads and lose the gauge threads instead of teh other way around. in short, the extension is stuck in there and i need something to force it to overpower the grip on the spark plug threads. my next idea is something with a midlvl adhesive like jbweld using the busted spark plug as the test dummy. any other ideas would be great.
thanks

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
GT-Swhite said:
turns out something didnt fall in the gap, it was the deep socket extenstion of the compression gauge. however that screws into the spark gap, but its also screws into the standard bolt of the gauge, so it just decided to grip the spark plug threads and lose the gauge threads instead of teh other way around. in short, the extension is stuck in there and i need something to force it to overpower the grip on the spark plug threads. my next idea is something with a midlvl adhesive like jbweld using the busted spark plug as the test dummy. any other ideas would be great.
thanks
It has a hole thorugh the center of it - just use an EZ-out

BTW - your low compression on number 2 sounds like a bent valve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts