NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new pfc. Now, my car is lagging and bogging down more than ever. I have a s-afc installed, but it is all zeroed out. Would that be the cause? My car starts up much better than before, but when I go full throttle it just stalls. My CEL that was lit before gave me the lean code, and occasionally I would get a random misfire. I thought this was going to be a cure all... Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to tell you that it is a MWR base map and I have AEM CAI & TRD exhaust.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Wierd, i dont kno if the safc is the cause, but when u installed it, did u unplug the negative and after u put in in let it idle for 10 minutes no load, 10 with ac, and 10 with only defrost? I just got mine yesterday and all seems fine.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do the 10/10/10 thing. As soon as I get out of work i will disconnect the batt., hook it back up, and do the 10/10/10 thing. The directions that came with it were in Japanese.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this sounds like a stupid noob thing to do... However, after thouroughly cleaning my MAFS and throttle body and still having issues with my car I started to play with the S-AFC. I ended up adjusting to +13 across the board. I know this is just a quick fix, but I can already feel the difference in my car. It must have been running extremely lean. I now feel more torque in the low end and in the high end I am able to keep it in the big cam. I know that my car will require further tuning when I am able to make the trek to a apexi authorized tune shop, but until then this will definately suffice.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If i were u, i would put the stock ecu back in. Then u can put the pfc in when u are ready to tune. That way you can be sure ur not messing anything up.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fugit. It seems to be running really well right now. My butt dyno was just calibrated last night... I will tune eventually. This is running way better than the stock ecu.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
kylephoehn said:
you do NOT put a piggy back on a standalone.

you do NOT run an aftermarket ecu on a basline tune

you do NOT put in an aftermarket ecu untill you fix your CEL's

I HIGHLY suggest you remove the pfc, put in your stock ecu, FIX the problems wrong with your car and then, (save up for) dyno time (at least 3 runs) to check hp and a/f readings with the pfc, (drive there on stock ecu, do a baseline, then swap out for pfc for the other 2 runs)

I seriously hope you realize a new engine is more expensive than tuning.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by kylephoehn
fugit. It seems to be running really well right now. My butt dyno was just calibrated last night... I will tune eventually. This is running way better than the stock ecu.
famous last words.

IMO you just wasted $1000

Slappin a piggy back on a standalone is about as smart as paying for a lap dance and keep your eyes closed while wearing a snow suit.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MWR was supposed to have put a base map that would allow me to run the car no problem. After putting in the pfc it ran like crap. I haven't been able to get the check engine light off ever since I put a rmm sri on. I thought maybe switching to aem cai would do the trick... No such luck. I have tried absolutely everything to get the check engine light off and nothing has worked. It gives me a lean code. Besides, all I have done is make the engine run richer on MWR base map. The only thing you can screw up from running richer is the cat or some plugs. Oh yea, I was looking for reasons why their map would be running like such crap. I wasn't looking for you to critcize every last decision that I make with my car. What is this? Are you two really a couple of ex-girlfriends? In all honesty my car is running really well. I am using MWR base map and have made the fuel mixture richer. The danger comes from running too lean, right? That is how you blow up your engine. If you want to talk schmack to somebody you should direct it to MWR. Why the hell did the base map run like such poo? He told me that he wasn't sure that it was loaded up but if I wanted to I could send it back to them (my expense) and he would double check, or I could just rev past 8k and see for myself. Well it definately has a higher rev limit but I have no idea about the other stuff. Does anyone in the Louisville area have a datalogit or commander that they would want to rent me?

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Illusive said:
you do NOT put a piggy back on a standalone.

you do NOT run an aftermarket ecu on a basline tune

you do NOT put in an aftermarket ecu untill you fix your CEL's

I did not put a piggy back on a standalone.
I put a standalone on a piggyback.

It is supposedly a tune for cai and exhaust according to MWR.

The only way to fix the CEL is to put a factory air box back in my car... that was chopped up months ago.

Good advice though, you must be a rocket scientist or something.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
No we are not rocket scientists...we just know what we are doing with power FC's but with your whopping 21 posts you have failed to do some research im sure. If you had then you would know that Illusive, 00SilverGTS6spd, and myself know what we are talking about. I suggest you take our suggestions. but if you choose not to then when you come here crying that your engine blew, dont come asking for help...

Oh and there is no such thing as putting a standalone on a piggyback...your lean code will be fixed with proper tuning...

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All that I know is that the afc fixed the problem. What do you mean there is no such thing??? Do you know of any shops anywhere in the midwest that tune the pfc? Of course I want it to run the best that it can, did I waist my money on the mwr map for i and e? Do I need to post ridiculous replies to every post just so that it looks like I have done research---one has nothing to do with the other. I have read every thread about the pfc. Also I have checked numerous other sites. I wouldn't drop a grand on something w/o doing some research.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
kylephoehn said:
All that I know is that the afc fixed the problem. What do you mean there is no such thing??? Do you know of any shops anywhere in the midwest that tune the pfc? Of course I want it to run the best that it can, did I waist my money on the mwr map for i and e? Do I need to post ridiculous replies to every post just so that it looks like I have done research---one has nothing to do with the other. I have read every thread about the pfc. Also I have checked numerous other sites. I wouldn't drop a grand on something w/o doing some research.
look dood dont come up in here with an attitude.

your the tool (yes i said tool) who stuck an aftermarket standalone computer on an engine that wasn't working right to begin with (the cels you mentioned you had before the pfc)

any LOGICAL person would think to fix those problems BEFORE attempting to pay 1000 dolars for an aftermarket ecu. If you did any research on the pfc you would know that EVERYONE says you need to factor in dyno time with the purchase of the unit as EVERY car is different.

If you want to come up in here with an attitude and not listed to what we are doing which is trying to help you then so be it. Thats your choice. I'm done with you and this thread until you understand what we're saying.

put your stock ecu in fix your check engine lights, save up for dyno time and then try to use the pfc

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, you're right. You are cool. You don't have an attitude. The CEL is next to impossible to fix. I have tried EVERYTHING. I was hoping that the PFC was the fix. There isn't any reason for you to be a j-hole. So, if you don't want to help don't reply. By the way smart guy you misspelled DUDE, and you have before in previous posts. Its a shame we don't have a spell check for smart guys like you.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Look they know what they are talking about when it comes to PowerFC, they had so much dyno time playing with PowerFC that they have the highest Naturally Aspirated with bolt on mod out there. So do take their advise use stock ECU get a baseline, remove the piggyback and drop PFC in and get it tuned.
If you can find a dyno shop you can buy a commander off of ebay and tune your pfc at a dyno shop.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Ok lets take a step back here....having a lean code cause by in intake is very common. the PFC does fix that because it dosent give error codes. The purpose of the PFC is to have a perfectly tuned car....when thats acomplished there wont be any lean or rich conditions...

With that said, lets end all this bickering (myself included)....sell the S-AFC and use the money to tune the PFC....you should easily get 200-250 for it and thats pleanty to get The PFC tuned...good luck

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay. good call smaay. i appreciate all of your guys help. sorry for having an attitude.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts