NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off.... 00 GTS 6SPD. have ALWAYS loved toyota's with a passion and finally (6mths ago) landed a very well paying job and thought i would treat myself well. im new to toyota but not to the import scene. took my sister out tonight in the car for a ride, 1st time she saw my beautiful car :) so i took 1st gear to about hmm i would say 8 grand and tried banging it into 2nd. wouldnt go in. tried again a few minutes later, same thing. shifted right into gear at about 6000. spoke with a good friend of mine about this and he stated it was a safety feature that you cant bang 2nd passed a certain RPM range (maybe after lift kicks in)?! although another kid i know that has an 01 GTS said he bangs 2nd gear at about 8200?! <though i dont really care about what that kids has to say haha, but i wanna know is this really a safety feat.? please, tell me it is! thanks for everyones time!

· Registered
2,708 Posts
First off....'banging' anything with your sister in the car is just wrong. That being said, lets refer to this from now on as "shifting into 2nd gear".
Typically this occurs with bad syncros. 2nd gear is usually the first to go. how many miles? Might want to change the tranny oil to mt90 or something as well.

· Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the car was a one owner lease, by a guy that was 40 some years old. now thats not sayin he didnt beat it but the d*mn thing looks like it came right off the showroom floor. the car does have almost 36,000 miles on it (35,764 i believe to be exact). now keep in mind i tested it one more time tonight (JUST ONCE!) and took it to about 6900 or mabe 7k (before the clutch hit the floor) and it shifted perfectly fine into 2nd. every other gear is fine. but i dont want to keep beating my baby... so i didnt wanna try it again above 7k. thanks again!

· Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Typically this occurs with bad syncros. 2nd gear is usually the first to go. how many miles? Might want to change the tranny oil to mt90 or something as well."

can the syncros go bad after only 36k miles? even if it was beat to hell all day long, for 4 years straight... i dunno im askin? lol?!

"tranny oil to mt90 " wtf? haha told you guys im new to celicas, and they are a HUGE (<cannot stress that word enough in this statement) step up from my worthless civic hatch :p

· Premium Member
24,696 Posts
Originally posted by rotchcrocket04
o one more questions... syncro's.... how much money and time involved? im good with motor work (older honda.. mazda motors) but forget it when it comes to trannys haha.
I'm the same way :) I hate opening up the Trans. If you take the trans out yourself and take it to a shop then it should be around 300-400 bux.

www.ogracing.com For the oil.

· Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm.. well i dunno, like i said i hate beatin the car b/c im not rich haha! so yes, maybe that is it exactly, maybe i cant shift it real well. im not used to having a car with reverse up and left. im used to hondas and mazdas?! well either way im gonna put those bushings in and change the tranny oil b/c it cant hurt. so for now im not gonna worry about it, ill do these couple steps and take everyones advice. thanks alot for everyones help!

· Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well guys as funny as this really is its quite amusing also. turns out S|Lv3rBu||et was right. and silv3rone said it right.... i was gettin it caught "in the dip" to reverse! like i said im used to honda mazdas etc. so line up and laugh guys... haha! but it just so happened after the car was good and warmed up i sat at a stoplight and a new(er) accord pulled up (RICED out)!! i thought i just had to show him what was up. so he tacked it up and the light turned green, he stuck next to me till lift hit in 1st and at 7900 i put it in 2nd and he fell FAR back and tried keepin up but couldnt do it!! my 1st win, very happy :) so thought i should share, sry this should prolly be in the forum from racing stories. and thanks again guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.