NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been wanting to do this for almost 3 years now ever since I first sat in a 911 and realized that the shifter in that car feels like sex in your hand. Add on to that there are no Porsche crests and the 6 speed pattern is the same as the GT-S6. Could never afford the $400 price tag that Porsche wanted for a factory new one.

Lately I found a guy who replaced his factory one with a carbon one (which I don't like) in his brand new 996 turbo and sold me this one for a steal. This took some good fab work though. Most cars have a steel round rod shifter with threads on it. The 996 is different however. Porsche actually employs flat, rectangular steel stock for their shifter rods. Excellent idea IMO, but just made things a little difficult doing the transfer. But in the end, it works great and is on there nice and tight.

The shifter comes with the knob and boot as one and I resurfaced the center console trim to match the knob trim. Now it looks like it belongs there. :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
yeah that looks real nice. im using a shifter from an older generation S4. it has the gearing written on it also identical to the gts.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
looks great WOW

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
wow looks like the same shifter in my dads car....

oh ya his car is a 996....its does have a great feel.

John

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Korywithak said:
Its that tall w/ the short shifter? wow.... looks super nice though.
Yeah, I could have made it lower, but I have big hands and I don't like it as low as it was. So I lifted it a little and so I could have a more comfortable grip while keeping the short shifts.

·
Registered
792 Posts
the shifter in that car feels like sex in your hand

Um given the phalic nature of a shifter in the first place... that statement just doesnt sound good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts