NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm about to go have my head and intake manifold ported. I have a really good hookup with a place, but they advertise "porting." Where does the "polish" part come in?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd be very careful. As far as I know, no one or not many people have done p&p on the celicas. It could turn out to be a hack job, the only way to really know if you gained the hp is to flow bench it. Polishing is where they smooth out some rough spots to help flow and give it a swirl or other types of polishes. There is alot of info about p&p's and I do not know too much about it, but just becareful because you might be getting a good deal but might end up with a hack job and you probably wouldnt even know. Someone you can trust though is alaniz technologies because he has a flowbench also he did work on the worlds fastest honda...

http://www.alaniztechnologies.com/

theres his link, and he also has some definitions about port and polishing so you should go check out the link, to at least learn some p&p terminology.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The stock intake manifold is pretty good already. It's possible to lose power if you port or polish it incorrectly. Look at the AMSS header, it lost power because the stock GT-S header are very well designed in the first place.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all the answers! The company I want to go through is R&D Dyno Performance Center down here in SoCal. I met them at IAS the other day. Here's their website: www.rddyno.com. They can do pretty much any custom porting job and also have a flow bench.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually guys, after reading that thread on the work Alaniz Technologies did for porting our head, I've decided to switch to them. However, what about the intake manifold? Should I just go with what nyoneway said about the stock intake manifold being pretty well designed from the start? Also, this is a stupid question, but exhaust manifold = header, right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
For header, leave it alone and get a Trial. As for the intake manifold, I'd assume that is pretty well designed too, but I can bet you that if you call up Alaniz tech he can walk you through this. Also great choice on picking Alaniz, he does great work, good luck!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
aerospike2002 said:
Thank you guys for all the answers! The company I want to go through is R&D Dyno Performance Center down here in SoCal. I met them at IAS the other day. Here's their website: www.rddyno.com. They can do pretty much any custom porting job and also have a flow bench.
Ironic. R & D Dyno and Alaniz are direct competitors (R & D tunes the L'Natural Civic and Alaniz works on Eric Aguilar's Civic, both n/a cars that run ten-second 1/4 miles). They're also VERY close to each other (they're on the same street in the same city). Both of these places know their stuff. Give Alaniz a call and see if he wants to beat any prices R & D's offering you. Can't go wrong either of them, though. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SlowPoke said:
For header, leave it alone and get a Trial. As for the intake manifold, I'd assume that is pretty well designed too, but I can bet you that if you call up Alaniz tech he can walk you through this. Also great choice on picking Alaniz, he does great work, good luck!

Hey guys. Maybe I'm just an idiot. When I refer to the "head" am I just referring to the "header"? Isn't the "header" also referred to as the "exhaust manifold"? Therefore, do all I really need to concern myself with is porting the intake manifold?

·
Registered
201 Posts
when I say header, I mean the 4 pipes that route the exhaust gases, when I say head, I mean cylinder head.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Head would mean cylinder head to me. Thats the most important part.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks SlowPoke for confirming. So, I'll have my Cylinder Heads ported by Alanix Technologies or R&D and inquire about porting my intake manifold. I'll let you guys know what's going down.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I am sure there are good people on the east coast to do some P&P work but I personally don't know of anyone off hand. Maybe Bo would know since Rado does alot of this for his race cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.