NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how i would go about doing this? i mean if i can doit myself or do i have to take it in to have someone do it? and how much hp gain would i get from doing this. thanks :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I considered doing this myself, but after researching it, the amount of money one would need to invest in tools, let alone the amount of time it would take to do a really good job, I decided to have mine ported by Boosted2.0. Do a forum search and you'll find the thread really easily.

But, if you already have the proper tools and want to take the time, you could go ahead and give it a shot. :shrugs:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CarterK said:
I considered doing this myself, but after researching it, the amount of money one would need to invest in tools, let alone the amount of time it would take to do a really good job, I decided to have mine ported by Boosted2.0. Do a forum search and you'll find the thread really easily.

But, if you already have the proper tools and want to take the time, you could go ahead and give it a shot. :shrugs:

blah i guess but do you know how much hp and torque gain i would get from doing this? everyone on here says that its better to port then to get an aftermarket header because you get better results. just wondering what the numbers were if you knew.

·
Banned
19 Posts
i decided to do it myself even though shipping is virtually free if i get boosted to do it, i live in north houston. If you want a good porting job you cant just work with a simple dremel you need a foredom also, once you have that you can start porting your header. I always been a guy who does things rather then hire peopel to do it, unless i cant do it (rarely) i figure if i invest in the tools it'll save me $money in the long run for other purposes for the tools. You need a foredom it cost about 250$ shipped on ebay. a very good tool for porting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Foredom-2272-Ge...1QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29528QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats better then a dremel imho.

·
Banned
19 Posts
xdrummer_boyx said:
blah i guess but do you know how much hp and torque gain i would get from doing this? everyone on here says that its better to port then to get an aftermarket header because you get better results. just wondering what the numbers were if you knew.
GT-S = stock header ported (best gains)

GT = ported header or hotshot (best gains)

·
Registered
191 Posts
PassedYa has been trying to sell a GT header in the for sale forums for like 3 freaking months. I had ported it myself and sold it to him. He's down pretty low, the demand for them has fallen in the past months.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
xdrummer_boyx said:

I was Boosted's test car and I got 10 extra HP and TRQ in teh low to mid RPM ranges on my GT-S. I believe he is seeing slightly better gains now as I think he has changed how he ports.....contact him....it's a great product!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ahh, wasn't sure if you had a GT or GT-S, but I see you have the latter.

If you're down with some handy work, porting it yourself isn't too bad. I've ported three GT headers now. What's tricky is getting it off the car. I was lucky enough to grab one on ebay that I could port so I could still drive my car. Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I disagree - its not easy to port one properly. Oh its easy to take metal off, but theres a definite art to taking off teh right amount in the right places by not taking TOO much. Especially with the GT where the flange and inlet are much thinner than the GTS you have to be careful.

Heres a link to my thread - read the first post and then as much as you care to after that and you will get all the info you need.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204266

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
xdrummer_boyx said:
ahh i guess.... i wanted to try to doit myself.... but w/e anyways thanks for all the feedback
You are welcome to do so, but the odds of the results being as good are slim, and it is going to take you a Looong time and cost you quite a bit of money in dremel media to get it done. My first one took 8 hours with the dremel to get it right and I'm a profesional...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
OFF Topic..sorry for taking over ur thread xdrummer_boyx.. ;o)

^^wat do u suggest for tool to use on tough a** bolt that won't come out?? i tried to install the header u ported for me and couldn't..got every bolts/screws/nuts watever out but on the header (stock) the second one from the battery to the right..so it's battery, the first screw or nut, water then the next one is the one that hide behind the header tube..that sh*t got stuck on there good..i've tried the 3/8" swivel and 2fts extension and basically all the tool u had in ur guide but still couldn't get the f*cker out..i hosed it down with WD-40 TWICE..and it still won't budge..

wat do you recommend i do next?? i got everything out and spend like 2-3hrs on that one specific 14mm bolt alone and still couldn't get it done, so i finally had to put EVERYTHING (except for the top header heat shield) back..such a waste of time..

any help could be great..thanks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.