NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem maintaining alignment on one tire. I'm posting in hopes that some of you may have some ideas as to other things to check that could result in the behavior I am getting.

For the last ten years if I compare my alignment sheets I find that my passenger rear tire is always way out of alignment. Typically the other three tires are close or still within spec.

The way it happens is within a week or two of getting an alignment I will notice that my right rear tire has drastically changed camber angle. Toe probably also changes but I haven't measured.

When I do a lot of highway traveling for work I will end up destroying that right rear tire in just about a year to a year and a half. Sidewall degradation. Feels like i'm driving on a pile of rubber bands.

About a year ago I put the prothane rear control arm bushing kit on my car and while re-assembling I installed new cam and toe bolts along with the pinch plate and a new nut. I noticed my old pinch plates had no noticeable pinch point to stop the lobed bolt from rolling over. (I was very sure this plate was the culprit. Incorrect.)

In doing these installs I did not notice any bending or damage to the knuckle or trailing arm. The design of the components puts a bushing as the first point of contact in an impact so I think it would really take a lot to bend something.

My car has no obvious underbody damage that would indicate a possible issue with the frame.

I have about 160k on Tokico HP shocks and Tein S-Tech springs. It's likely these shocks are bad due to mileage. They don't exhibit the typical dead shock symptoms though. One question I have is "can a blown shock under load provide zero resistance and allow the inertia put onto the shock to travel into the upper/lower suspension arms in a way that they would actually move out of alignment?"

My plan is to buy Tein SS-P coilovers as replacement but if there's something wrong with this corner of my car then that's a waste of money.

I also run Throttle's copy of the whiteline roll coupler kit. That's brought my center of gravity down an additional inch in the rear. Don't think that matters but figured it was important to note. There's also ES poly bushings in the front control arms.

I've got the hotchkis camber arms but have not installed them yet. I was hoping to find a culprit before putting these in.

I have no real steering wheel wobble. There is a tiny bit but its all from the angle of that tire causing the imbalance. My tie rod ends and wheel bearings are all new.

So at this point I have to figure out why this corner is screwed up or I have to park my celica and buy something else. My car has 220k, daily driven for 12+ years, and i'd sure like to finish out my remaining miles with it driving in a straight line and not eating up tires.

As far as I can tell the shock/spring and maybe the upper mount of the shocks is the only remaining thing to swap out. Any bushings in those upper mounts would have the full 220k on them at this point.

If you read this far, thanks. If you have some ideas, i'm all ears.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Had someone else look at rear of car. They found a lip built into the subframe to stop the eccentric bolts from rolling out of alignment. I have this lip on one side but not the other.

They believe my lowered subframe position and blown shock in that corner are forcing that eccentric bolt to roll over under cornering load. So now the plan is to install the hotchkis arms, remove eccentric bolt entirely, replace the two rear tires, and re-align. If the car keeps the settings for more than two weeks i'll order the coilovers.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know about an eccentric lockout kit that fits the celica?

Lots of stuff out there for nissan and mazda but nothing for toyota except for a FRS/BRZ kit and i'm not sure it'll work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts