NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car has been making growling noises when I first start to go from a stop. As first I had noticed it when engine was cold but it seems to happen consistently. I also thought it was my intake but it does this this stock intake too.
If going up a slight hill from a stop, the growl noises are louder followed by some belt type of noise.
It seems like the car is slightly bogging at low rpms. Could this growling nose be signs of possible knocking?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the growl sound is at lower rpms.
When I am takeing off from a stop on 1st gear, it almost always makes this noise.
Then if I shift at 2.5k - 3k to 2nd it makes it again. It seems like a precursor to knocking like a minor knocking if you will. Since there seems to be some loss in power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
make sure the fitment of the stock air box or intake is completly secured. make sure there are no gaps anywhere (espically between your throtal body and intake pipe. squeze that sucker together!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like your bogging to me.

I get the same thing if I don't give it enough gas from a standing start. This noise becomes really appearent after putting on a CAI. Our cars, having relatively low torque engines (compared to American cars) need to have a higher RPM than other cars to have the clutch engage without bogging or stalling out :0

About the belt noise thats your guess?

·
Registered
718 Posts
JaySong said:
car has been making growling noises when I first start to go from a stop. As first I had noticed it when engine was cold but it seems to happen consistently. I also thought it was my intake but it does this this stock intake too.
If going up a slight hill from a stop, the growl noises are louder followed by some belt type of noise.
It seems like the car is slightly bogging at low rpms. Could this growling nose be signs of possible knocking?
That sounds is not knocking, I have it, and so does a lot of members here on the board. Go check out the thread I made in this section, scroll down and find thread titled "my GTS growls at me" you will see other members have this problem too.

My car is 2003 GT-S, I have 6002 miles on it so far and I notice it when I take off from a stop, it sounds ike "Grooaaaooogg" for a moment then goes away when rpm reach like 2-2.5K rpms, when I shift early into 2nd at low rpms like you say and the engine is under a slight load it makes that sound too. I know how pinging sounds like and how an engine sounds when its about to bog, this is not it. I can't explain your power loss, my car runs better than ever so your power loss might be some different problem, also your belt noise is probably your tensioner. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I really try to live with the noise now, I don't want to take my baby into service, the guys at my dealership said they never sold a GT-S 6 speed before they were asking how fast it was ect.... I was the first to place an order and buy one from them. WTF?? I came and picked it up when it came off the truck, I stayed up all night the night before, I made sure none of those vultures even drove my car and didn't even fill my tank, picked it up with 4 miles on the odo still had plastic on the hood, seat, roof ect.. When I came back to buy some oil fiters, the service department was all over my car again, they didn't even know Celicas come with HID as an option now, they were all checking my car out and playing with my HID leveling switch, popping my hood ect. The head of the service ( mid 20s guy) was like soooo have you taken her up to 130 yet with a big wink. I was like NOOOOOOO... (in the back of my head thinking yeah if I left it here for service I know YOU WOULD!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts