NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
You can't really get a car for less than invoice because that would mean the dealership was paying you to take the car off their hands. The invoice price is supposed to be the price that the dealership paid for the car.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
hellr said:
You can't really get a car for less than invoice because that would mean the dealership was paying you to take the car off their hands. The invoice price is supposed to be the price that the dealership paid for the car.
supposedto be , but even the "invoice" price they show you is not accurate.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I got my '00 GT-S for under "invoice", but like XYRCNCP stated, the dealer still can make a profit off of "holdback". And I wouldn't be surprised if they have more tricks.

But the dealer doesn't deserve to make a profit! They deserve what the market will pay, and if that means they lose money, tough :) That's capitalism. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vvtlikick said:
I got my '00 GT-S for under "invoice", but like XYRCNCP stated, the dealer still can make a profit off of "holdback". And I wouldn't be surprised if they have more tricks.

But the dealer doesn't deserve to make a profit! They deserve what the market will pay, and if that means they lose money, tough :) That's capitalism. :D
how much under invoice did you get it for?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I got my GT 5sd for $50 under invoice. Let me introduce you to the Dan Tran way of buying cars.

1. Decide on exactly the car you want with options and color etc...
2. Go online and find the emails to all of the dealerships in your area that sell that car.
3. Email two of them (but don't tell them you have emailed other dealerships) asking for what they can offer.
4. Take the best offer and email it to two more dealerships asking if they can beat it.
5. Continue to do this until you find a satisfactory price. Make the dealership agree on the price. Arrange a pick up time and you're all set.

Usually, if a dealership does this, they can request the car on their next shipment. So since the car is new to the lot they can sell it to you at invoice and still make profit from a holdback bonus (a bonus about 5% if the dealership sell the car within the first 60 days or so)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
outersquare said:
how much under invoice did you get it for?
My math might be off, but here's the numbers:

'00 GT-S
with ABS, 16" Wheels, Moonroof, Spoiler, Leather, Floor Mats, Security, Destination

MSRP: $24,860
Invoice: $21,752
Purchase: $21,278

So a total of $474 under, but I did get mine very late in the model year ('01 was already on the lots).

But '03 Celica buyers should be a good position to bargain regardless, due to the strong competition now in the market. I bought mine before the introduction of the RSX, WRX, Neon SRT-4, Focus SVT, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I got a brand new 2002 GTS Act Pck, with leather, sunroof, everything, for 23,768. I know I should have paid about 27,000 for all that if I'm not mistaken. And I'm pretty sure the guy that sold it to me was fired for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Hell of a deal Double B, I paid 22,750 for a 02 GT Auto Celica w/ AP and every available option. I tried to get the salesman to get me a GTS for $24k and he said i couldnt get one for under 26k.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: .

RiceRocket3 said:
Hell of a deal Double B, I paid 22,750 for a 02 GT Auto Celica w/ AP and every available option. I tried to get the salesman to get me a GTS for $24k and he said i couldnt get one for under 26k.
Haha, yeah. After the deal was done up, I had to wait for the car. Next time I came in I asked for my dealer, and the manger was like, "He doesn't work here anymore, we've assigned someone else to your sale." hehe

·
Registered
666 Posts
I sold Nissans for about a year and a half (i know there not toyotas)
Hold back: about 3% theres $600 profit selling at invoice for a 20k car
The dealership I worked at was given a quota of lets say 20 cars if we sold 21 we got a bonus it usually added up to about 15k One customer came in and wanted the first SE-R we had on the lot this car was the money maker for us it was 45 minutes before closing on the last day of the month we needed one more sale to get the bonus and the manager was pissed cause we didnt get it Anyother time we would of asked full sticker for that car we sold it for $2000 under invoice the celica has had the same body for 4 years now its getting old school you should get at least 500 over invoice if not less but like i mentioned it doesnt matter what you pay if you get screwed on the backend
Financing: Always get approved with your local bank on financing before you buy a car to know what rate you can get. Dealers "mark up" the interest rate . In other words if you qualify for 5% the dealer sells it to you for 7% and makes 2% profit off the car thats how the F&I guy makes his moneySo paying cash could actually hurt the deal cause there not making money on the back end . Go to your bank see what you qualify for tell the dealer the rate minus 1% and see what he can do. I walk in knowing what i qualify for and if the dealer doesnt beat it I pay "cash" or a check from my bank to the dealership
Extended Warranty: My dumb ass father in law bought my wife a car last year for xmas he paid $1500 for a 10 year 60K warranty it came standard with a 4 year 50K bumper to bumper warranty she drives 12k a year so basically she will out drive her warranty in 5 years or he bought a 1year warranty for $1500 the dealer marks up warrantys usually about a lil less than double so a $1500 warranty cost them $750 are you going to own the car past 60k ? when your young probally not
Processing fee: Ive seen $150 - $500 for the dealer to do the title work what a crock of BS do it yourself save the money or if you live in a bad DMV area refuse to pay it AFTER negotiating
Rust and dust: $300 for stripes and paint sealant ? Cmon ask to see the "sealant" I bty its pink if they have it at all its cheapo wax ask for the stripes to be removed If a dealer offers undercoating I would get up and leave right then no matter what is going on if they think they can sell you that BS you shouldnt give them your business.
Shopping around: on a new car shop around at different dealers If you see a car you like at dealer X and dealer Y doesnt have it no biggie they can DX (Dealer Exchange) it form dealership X usually they will call to see if the car is available and check whats invoice on it Ive lost deals on $50 on a 20K car and the guy had to drive 2.5 hours/100 miles I wouldnt suggest being that anal but see what they have to offer you. If you have a trade drive to the dealer with it dont leave it at home a dealer will low ball a sight unseen car also make sure it is clean and smells decent do a mini detail on it if to show off how well you take care of it
After the sale- I bought a used GTS going with the dealership i did I get 3 wiper blade replacements 3 oil changes 3 CEL diagnostic checks 3 $100 towing 3 car washes and $150 if i buy another car from them and another $150 if I use the GTS as a trade for free. yes I do"pay" for it but other dealers didnt have that and the car was cheaper than the other ones Check on the Free Loaner car if it is good for oil changes or not most arent which means yer sitting and check on the courtesy van how many how far they go ETC I lived 2 miles from the Mazda dealership and it would of been quicker for me to walk there and back then take that thing which put on about 100 miles till it got to my house
God factor - Toyota salesman are ****y why? Cause they can be Why ? What are u driving? They know they sell superior products and if you dont buy it leave cause the next person to walk in the door will .
Anyways hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.