NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I found a 1991 Celica Convertible GT with 40,129 miles on it. One owner car, looks and drive like new. Red, grey interior and 5 speed. For the previous owner it was a summer only car. Dealer had it for $8,300 I have been negotiating with him and he is down to $6,900. I'm used to buying new cars and this number is still over Kelly and NADA. I'd like the thoughts of some die hard Celica owners.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Super low miles, but the 5th gen GT or ST aren't exactly stellar performers. The 3S-FE and 4A-FE aren't putting down a lot of power. Also you'll want to do the timing belt, other belts, and radiator hoses for peace of mind, they're all well past their lifetime in terms of age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good recommendation. I looked under the hood but I'm going to look again tomorrow and I'll squeeze and pull some of the belts and hoses to see what they are like. Sometimes I forget that age just not miles matter.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,879 Posts
Just some off-the-cuff observations:

• This forum specializes in the 7th Gen & not the 5th Gen. However, we have lots of knowledgeable folks. ;)
  • You said this is a '91 GT. So, it should be a 5S-FE engine.
  • As the owner of a 22yr old garage queen car.... I can tell ya that you'll be dealing with rust & rot down under. Fuel lines, brake lines, calipers, struts, shocks, end links, sways, etc. Definitely look at the undercarriage.
  • Definitely look closely @ the roof. Convertible material is probably aged & breaking down.
  • Insurance - it's a "classic". You'll probably have to go with specialized insurance to have it insured for what you're paying 'cuz regular insurance probably won't cover that cost.
  • Unless you're into "classics", you might be better off with a newer model year vehicle that has improved safety & features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.