NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm seriously seriously considering a 6 speed celica gt-s but I have some questions for current owners. My previous cars were auto 1998 maxima, 5spd 2000 integra, and i'm currently driving an auto 1994 celica st.

This will be my "only" car and I will have to trudge through some traffic during my commutes to work and I was working if the clutch is really as grabby/on/off switch like as people say. Everything else I can kind of feel for myself on the test drive, but I doubt I'll be able to simulate traffic on my test drive.

Common problems with the >120k mile celica gt-s : Other than lift bolts, and worn out synchros is there anything else I should worry about? How much does it cost to rebuild the transmission? Does anyone offer carbon synchros? One of the cars i'm looking has missing fuel door. Is this a common problem or a sign of neglect?

Alternatives:
another integra: PROS, cheap, great shifter, better gearing?, more power (under lift compared to a gt-s). CONS weak A/C, less safe, theft
mazda 3s: PROS: good midrange, comes in a wagon, refined. CONS: less sporty

Current owners: What is your next car? What car will you be upgrading to and why?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Common problems you can find by using the search button...
The 03+ are DBW and the Celica doesn't have nearly as much of an aftermarket support as Hondas, so if you want to mod I'm not so sure since our aftermarket prices haven't really dropped down significantly...
I would like to point out, like the k20's though, our the 2zz motors, not the Celica specifically but a Corolla XRS, same 2zz motor, has seen 197whp with ported IM I/H/E PFC and 207whp with aftermarket IM I/H/E PFC. The aftermarket IM(D&D) doesn't seem that great but when you compare with stock IM it's amazing.

My future car is probably 2004+ 350Z, G35, MR2 Spyder and put my 2zz in it, WRX or probably just keep my Celica and buy 07+ ZX6R.

Just do your research and you won't be sad later along the road, not saying the cars aren't good or anything, I love my Celica!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
The clutch can seem grabby on your first few tries but you'll get the hang of it. The pedal effort isn't heavy so I don't foresee issues with it.

For the prices of rebuilding the transmission you really have to shop around as they vary. I am not aware of carbon synchros for the C60 but there should be something out there.

Fuel door is really neglect. Periodic cleaning and lubricating of the hinges should keep them from rusting and breaking.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If you can tolerate a clutch in your daily driving now, you'll get used to the Celica's. If you want power, you don't want an auto.

I think it's more common to get a new/lightly used trans than have it repaired. I don't know rebuild/repair pricing, I'm afraid.

Fuel door's neglect, but easy to have happen, unfortunately. Cheap pot metal from all I can tell and once the door's not swinging easily it's just a matter of time.

I have another year or two in my Celica, but am watching the FR-S/BRZ and Genesis Coupes as replacements based on what's out today.

Good luck!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi all I'm seriously seriously considering a 6 speed celica gt-s but I have some questions for current owners. My previous cars were auto 1998 maxima, 5spd 2000 integra, and i'm currently driving an auto 1994 celica st.

This will be my "only" car and I will have to trudge through some traffic during my commutes to work and I was working if the clutch is really as grabby/on/off switch like as people say. Everything else I can kind of feel for myself on the test drive, but I doubt I'll be able to simulate traffic on my test drive.

Common problems with the >120k mile celica gt-s : Other than lift bolts, and worn out synchros is there anything else I should worry about? How much does it cost to rebuild the transmission? Does anyone offer carbon synchros? One of the cars i'm looking has missing fuel door. Is this a common problem or a sign of neglect?

Alternatives:
another integra: PROS, cheap, great shifter, better gearing?, more power (under lift compared to a gt-s). CONS weak A/C, less safe, theft
mazda 3s: PROS: good midrange, comes in a wagon, refined. CONS: less sporty

Current owners: What is your next car? What car will you be upgrading to and why?
Clutch is fine, its not stiff at all and is very manageable even in heavy traffic. I would take it over an Integra for sure unless it's a GSR/genuine Type R. The Mazda3 is a nice choice and will be better if you tend to have a lot of people in your car. Any more than one passenger in the Celica starts to get pretty uncomfortable.

My next car will probably be a GD-chassis WRX/STi OR an FR-S/BRZ, although I don't plan to get another car for at least several years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha looks like I'll be searching for a celica a little harder then. I was briefly considering spending more for an s2000, e36 m3, 330i, or wrx, but that would put me in the range where it'd be too much not to get full coverage but not cheap enough to only get liability.

I just wish I weren't so impatient and could get a great deal on one. Another question hows doing basic maintenance and other wrenching on one? Are things generally accessible and easy to get to? I.E do I need a press to replace wheel bearings? or pull the axles if i have to replace the alternator? Water pump?

Also again what common problems (mechanically) would I expect other than synchros and lift bolts? I can live with sunroof peeling. I can deal with narrow shift gates as i dont shift like a gorilla ;). I'm unsure of whether to get a baffled pan. I doubt I'll do many suspension mods but I wouldnt want my oil pump to fail prematurely.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
lol you worry too much... Just get a celica GTS MT

·
Registered
358 Posts
In my opinion everything is quite easy to work on for a fwd car.

Everything's as easy or easier to access than any other fwd car partly due to being a 4 Banger. Hardest thing to get to is the power steering system, IMO everything else is cake.

No other problems to watch out for other than what you already know so go drive some ;) synchros are on older GTS models only.

The clutch is nowhere near on/off not sure who says that. Ive used the stock one and an exedy stage 1 which I have now. Both are very smooth for street driving.

And I have no issues with the tight shift gates. Never have even when I was test driving. When my friends drive they skip gears a lot on accident but it just takes some getting used to.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
The clutch is nowhere near on/off not sure who says that.
It kinda is on-off in mine. If the carwash places I go to are any indication, there hasn't been one through these 6 years who's staff hasn't stalled the car at least once every time. Some have done it on several occasions and others now ask me to move the car myself. It's by no means something out of this world but it takes some getting used to for most people.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It kinda is on-off in mine. If the carwash places I go to are any indication, there hasn't been one through these 6 years who's staff hasn't stalled the car at least once every time. Some have done it on several occasions and others now ask me to move the car myself. It's by no means something out of this world but it takes some getting used to for most people.
Yeah maybe just because I'm so used to it. I never stalled the car even on the test drive though (And then I was used to driving a really loose shifter and clutch in a contour).

Not many people drive my car, since a surprising amount of younger people don't know how to drive a stick - but my one buddy has a hard time with it. Almost always goes from 2nd to 5th and stalls at least once.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you don't mind the limited size, get the celica. It's going to be the least expensive to maintain. Clutch is pretty easy, never had a problem in my friends stock clutch ad my stage 2 in my mr2

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I gone and did it....

Picked up a 2001 6-speed GTS with 114k miles on it. The previous owner wasn't an enthusiast but did take VERY good care of the car. I'm unsure of lift bolt history which makes me nervous. He said he did do some TSBs but he was unsure if he did it.

When buying a car I typically like to have the owner drive it to see their driving habits. I asked him to take it all the way up to see if lift activates and based on his reaction I can safely say he's never taken the car into lift during the 100k miles he's owned the car.

Right now the big monkey on my back is checking to see if the lift bolt is broken or not after that I can't wait to start modding the car. Also I noticed that the clutch catches closer to end of its travel is this typical for celicas?

No pictures yet but it has 3 dime sized dings and one 1.5 mm rock chip in the front right fender. Other than that and some rear bumper scratches it is pristine.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Sounds like the engagement point is likely near-correct. It's adjustable, though, within limits.

If it's not seen lift, I'd make sure it's on full synthetic 5w30, fill up the tank, put in quality fuel injector cleaner, and not put any more gas in it until the tank is about dry. Check the air filter, clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. Then you can beat the thing as long and hard as you want. If lift's engaging, I'd not worry about the lift bolts for now. Get used to the car and see if there are any other little issues or questions you might have.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
http://imgur.com/9C1qe,ob4xn,0BSE7,s2G06#0

Actually its closer to 115k miles
whatd you pay for it?
Whats do you think it'd be worth? Sorry for beating around the bush haha.

2KGTS

How come I shouldn't worry about lift bolts. Wouldn't it be better to change the lift bolt before it breaks? I plan on calling the dealership that he got his car serviced at to see if it was done.
There are some issues with the car. I think the rotors are warped so i'll replace those and the pads if I need to and the rear 2 tires are bald.

In terms of maintenance I'll probably fuel filter, oil, and transmission fluid. Idk about messing with the maf I'm afraid of damaging it haha. I also would rather just got a CAI/Short ram instead of replacing the air filter. Do people typically build Heatshield's for the SRIs? Is there an icebox type setup available? (Basically a short ram enclosed in an airbox with stepped up diameter piping OR a combo SRI/CAI)

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Cuz lift bolts are a PITA. If you're going to be in there, or want to give the car the thorough once over, go for it! I was just suggesting you drive it for a while to get a feel for everything that needs to be done or you want done.

Look into timing chain maintenance, btw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cuz lift bolts are a PITA. If you're going to be in there, or want to give the car the thorough once over, go for it! I was just suggesting you drive it for a while to get a feel for everything that needs to be done or you want done.

Look into timing chain maintenance, btw.
Rotors are warped and needs new tires/alignment. I ordered the lift (flange) bolts for tomorrow. I thought the timing chain was pretty solid and tensioners weren't known to fail. I snooped around and you said not to worry about it in an earlier post haha.

More importantly if this car hasn't seen lift in the 100k the owner has had it how likely would it be for the lift bolt to be broken? I'm debating whether or not to have someone do the lift bolts for me incase I need to be bailed out.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I thought the timing chain was pretty solid and tensioners weren't known to fail. I snooped around and you said not to worry about it in an earlier post haha.
Tensioners? Mine's been replaced due to wear so unsure where or why I'd say that.

More importantly if this car hasn't seen lift in the 100k the owner has had it how likely would it be for the lift bolt to be broken? I'm debating whether or not to have someone do the lift bolts for me incase I need to be bailed out.
No idea there, sorry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts