NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've benn thinking of powder coating my stock GT wheels because the money i would spend on new rims and tires it would be better if i spent the money on the turbo kit that i want for my car. I used photoshop to do the wheels and background but i just got and haven't figured everything out yet. Here is the pic.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have a friend that does powder coating so im going to get the hook up price :chuckles: But im also trying to get the GT-S wheels and have those powder coated

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im not cuz u cant powdercoat plastic. ill have to have them painted and try to match the 2 as close as possible. Thats why im also thinking about buying someone's GT-S wheels.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
gts rims go for under $200 a set from what i've seen (i gave mine away). i'd get a set, scuff 'em up and powdercoat spraypaint (yes there is powdercoat spraypaint) them. i wouldn't have them professionally done unless you really did have an awesome "hookup."

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
mr johnson said:
...scuff 'em up and powdercoat spraypaint (yes there is powdercoat spraypaint) them.
I hadn't heard of that. I've been looking at plastic spray paint (designed to adhere to plastic) because the end result of the powdercoat is a plastic coating. Is this the same stuff?
dB

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not worried about traction at the moment. I want to go with real powdercoating cuz ive seen that spary on some wheels and it didn't look all that good.Hey nippon ur wheels look nice as hell im deffinatly gonna get some GT-S wheels now. As far as the hook. It's so good i cant even say it over the internet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my gt-s rims powder coated too. Words of advice, If you sand it down yourself and use aircraft remover (which is pretty messy), you can save yourself almost $100 when you bring it to get powder coated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx but what is aircraft remover and where can it be found. What kind of tool did u use to sand ur rims. Also do u know anyone selling or giving away any GT-S wheel PM me if u do.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Painting it yourself is a lot cheaper. Won't run more than $50. You can go buy spray cans of specific wheel paint (I forgot who makes it). You just need to sand that mother down like no other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
TRD00CelicaGT said:
Thanx but what is aircraft remover and where can it be found. What kind of tool did u use to sand ur rims. Also do u know anyone selling or giving away any GT-S wheel PM me if u do.
Aircraft remover is this very thick solvent that melts away the paint for easy removal. It could be found at any auto parts store like autozone or advance auto parts. this stuff works really good and please wear gloves. Also, you might want to buy a bag of steel wool to scrape away the paint.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
yea when I first bought my GT I was like, hmm these rims arn't that bad but now I have my GT-S I think they look horrible. I'm not a big fan of black rims since the tires when they don't have the wet look go kinda light grey and it just looks bad in general

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wtcnbrwn i dont want to paint the wheels cuz i want a gloss finish to the rim and im not very good at painting, i still cand stay inside the lines when i color ina coloring book lol Thanx for advice though.

hey verbal ur sig is funny as hell. Well with the rims i wanna go black cuz i want to carry that theme throughout the car. Plus im not really a fan of that gun metal color so im gonna go black thanx for the advice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.