NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 celica and I was wondering if anyone else might have had a problem after a while with the driver side power lock. when i use the power locks, my driver side door just wont lock anymore. i have to lock it manually. i can tell its got power to it because it wiggles a bit when you hit the power lock button on the center console but it never locks all the way without a little help from yours truly. so i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what can i do to fix it? is it something i can easily fix myself? i'd rather not have to take it in to toyota and pay a ton for them to do it. my bumper to bumper warranty expired at 36k miles and im somewhere near 60k.

thanks,
-Pat

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts
Hey girl... well... 2 possibilities... you might get by with getting in there & greasing things... which, from the sounds of things, might just do the trick. It sounds from your description that it is 1/2 locking?

The other is replacing the locking solenoid in the door.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) im not a chick, thats my lady on the car
2) its not even doing that anymore. it used to move but it doesnt look like its moving at all anymore

·
15,636 Posts
ViBrance said:
2) its not even doing that anymore. it used to move but it doesnt look like its moving at all anymore
1) my apologies
2) Check the lock solenoid. Does it still clunk? Other common problems with door locks are broken wires in the boot between the door & the frame and failures related to alarm system troubles.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took apart the door panel. wire is fine in the door. fooled with alot of stuff. still doesn't work. wouldn't make sense for it to be a fuse if its only one lock. maybe a shortage somewhere. since i dont have the tools to check for it and i need to get a tune up anyways, i guess ill just take my car to toyota tomorrow. blah

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I had this problem a while back. The door lock wire (the physical wire that connects to the door panel lock mechanism) got bent and wouldn't ever lock by itself without me having to aid it. When I had the car in the shop I had to replace both doors though and that obviously fixed it

·
15,636 Posts
ViBrance said:
took apart the door panel. wire is fine in the door.
As I said... it's a good chance that it is a problem in the rubber boot between the door & the frame. It is a common problem on Toyos.... especially if you're in & out of the car alot. It tends to show up as a fail to lock occasionally... or partially.. the wires start to fray & can't carry as much current as strands break.... then it will fail altogether... and, every once in a while, might sorta work if the broken strands touch. It may not be really visible to the eye and you'll have to feel the wire down it's length. If you find a "bump" cut there & butt splice back together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem earlier this year. I was very annoyed with having to manually lock and unlock everytime so I changed the door lock actuator...cost me $300+ but it's working now!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
ViBrance said:
2) #2 is irrelevant.
1.) More pics? :naughty:

But really.. Its most likely the actuator

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
took it toyota. turns out we did infact end up getting the extended bumper to bumper, which i wasn't aware of. the actuator was broken. car fixed. used the money that i thought i needed to get it fixed on a tuneup. car runs great!

thanks

/thread :)

·
15,636 Posts
:applaud:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my 7th Gen. celica GT driver's side door lock went out and my lovely dealership quoted me $400 to replace. The part alone was around $300, and they would not give me a deal. After much searching on the web, I found www.toyotapartscheap.com This website was able to get me the new OEM part for under $200 as it is a dealership in California. Seems like my dealer could have done this for me? (*ssholes) You have to get the entire assembly which includes the actuator and door mechanism along with the cables than run to the door handle. I tried to repair mine first and everything is sealed so this is pretty much impossible. Someone else may have better luck, it is a simple DC motor you can get from Radio Shack inside the plastic housing. Because of the cable system, I could not get the local car junkies to install an aftermarket actuator.
Here is the procedure to replace, you do not need special tools!
(You need to have all parts before you begin unless you plan on leaving you door open or have another car to drive)
1. Remove door panel: There is a screw behind a plastic plate behind door handle and below door lock. Two screws behind round plastic trim pieces in front of door panel. Two screws along bottom of door panel trim. Another screw in hole above storage section in panel. Once all these are removed, you just have to pull the bottom out and the snap plugs will pop out. Then you can simply remove the electrical wires from the harness and the cables for the lock and the handle Lift up and you are done.
2. Remove lock assembly: Pull back plastic. Disconnect electrical harness. Remove two 10mm one bolt and one nut holding assy. in. Don't forget the 3 torx screws on the mechanism which actually keeps the door shut. The only thing left is the two rods which go up to the lock and handle. Flip them both away with your thumb and this will free the rods so you can pull them out. You should be able to pull out the entire assy. now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts