NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather finally started getting warm again I noticed that I was having to refill my power steering fluid about every two weeks. Well the other day I was checking my brakes and I found the leak. I'm not a car guru so I figured I'd ask you all. The leaking was coming out of the circled area in the picture. What part is that? Am I going to be able to fix this on my own or am I going to have to take it into the shop? Price range would also help too if you have any idea. I'm going to do more research tomorrow since it'll be my day off, I just figured I'd ask here first.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
that part has nothing to do with power steering. what probably happening is the powersteering pump is leaking and its dripping onto that boot. mine is doing the same thing.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Nope, that's the tranny side (left) so the pump wouldn't be leaking there. Probably the oil seal for the shaft end.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've checked it four times now and its definitely power steering fluid. I don't know why it would be coming from there though. It's not leaking on top of the boot so its not from above or anything. It's just leaking from the bottom of the boot. hmm...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That's because it's leaking from inside the boot at the end of the rack. Take it to a shop.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
that part has nothing to do with power steering. what probably happening is the powersteering pump is leaking and its dripping onto that boot. mine is doing the same thing.
Nope, that's the tranny side (left) so the pump wouldn't be leaking there. Probably the oil seal for the shaft end.
correct, rack seal is probably leaking. unclamp the boot and push it back and i bet a whole bunch of fluid will come gushing out and make a mess. most problems i see like this are caused by a tear in the rack boot letting the shaft rust and then the rust tears up the seal, the only fix is a new power steering rack, sorry.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there aren't many shops around here that I trust so I took it to Toyota and they said that it'd be just over $1000 parts, labor, and tax. I've gone there a lot for little parts and stuff so they know me. The guy I talked to said he'd see what he could do to knock down the price and he called me back and said they could do it for $599 total. I've posted on a few parting out threads to see if I could get a used one for cheaper. Fun stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.