NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my windows to go up and down when I don't have the key in the ignition. I'm wanting to connect the windows to the alarm system with a special relay to allow me to raise and lower them with the remote.

Thanx!
teedty1

·
Registered
187 Posts
i did mine on factory alarm so when i arm the car it locks doors and rolls up windows... also when i hit lock once more it closes sunroof... i did many electronic tricks on my celica... ^^ for example, when i open a door sunroof will be tilted up, so doors won't have to be slamed hard to be closed... oh i shaved my door handles so i unlock first it unlocks one more then it pop driver's door out finally one more if i need to open passenger's door...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm doing this without the roll-up module. I need to know what wire in the harness goes hot when the car is on (which gets power to the window switch in the center console)

·
Registered
497 Posts
teedty1 said:
I'm doing this without the roll-up module. I need to know what wire in the harness goes hot when the car is on (which gets power to the window switch in the center console)
I dont mean to sound like a jackass...BUT, if you have to ask a question such as this...then you shouldnt be installing a window up kit at all. Not to mention you are doing the most UNSAFE thing in the world using only relays to roll windows UP.

You can do it properly...but it requires 2 relays and very importantly a PULSE TIMER. You want the relay's only to be active for the time it takes the window to go up...or else you will fry your window motors.

Dont cheap out..most DEI window modules sell for $40 or so for the simple models and include instructions that anybody can use.

Also, you don't need no ignition on "HOT" wire to make the windows go up and down...you simply build two 5-wire relays. To power the relays you would use a constant 12v source to be able to control the relays when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
agree with IRL... it doesn't cost that much... and it gives you auto up/down feature as well... one DEI modure controls two windows up/down... and since we have siwtch in middle, not on each door panel, all wires can be done in one place...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to use a window roll up module, but that's not gonna give me the kind of control I need.

I'm gonne be replacing the window controls with a custom system, integrated into a computer. So I won't be using the security system to control the windows.

Does anybody know the answer to my first question or do just need to find it myself :)?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you planning on getting rid of the stock lock controls all together?

If thats the case, you will still need the DEI window module..

Regardless of how you end up doing it, you will still need 2 trigger lines...one for windows up and one for windows down. The only way I can see that happening is with a Window Module.

The DEI Module is just a pre-built relay pack with the safety feature that senses pressure when the windows are up/down to stop the relays from doing their thing.

Get into a tad more detail on how you want to control the windows...then lets see if we can help more. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgive me if I start ranting... I'm kinda excited about this whole thing :)

ok... so the plan is to use a BASIC stamp (a small microprocessor that runs BASIC commands to control I/O) to control many circuits in the car. The BASIC stamp will interface to a computer (touchscreen LCD in the dash) to give me a really nice looking custom user interface.

What I need to do with the windows is gave leads that I can either supply power or ground to for each window to have them go up and down. I've gotta be able to lower and raise either window in increments (like by just sending a momentary pulse to the leads). My idea was that if I could wire the windows to ALWAYS have power (so the factory switches work when the car is on or off) I could then tie into the factory switch circuit board and run my own leads off the board (in much the same fashion as the "drivers auto-up" tutorial. Instead of using the factory buttons to connect the leads I could just use a relay. I've already got this workin with my sunroof. I just reconnected the wire in the harness that went hot when the car power was on to a constant 12V source and now my sunroof opens and closes even with the power off. Once I had that I just ran two leads from the factory switch and depending on which one you ground the sunroof either opens or closes.

Sooooooooooo..... I wanna be able to do the same kinda thing with the windows. Once I have them opening and closing without the car being on I can move on and start on controlling everything with a computer.

What does the DEI window module connect to? Does anybody have a wiring diagram for it?

Sorry about bein so picky! Once I get an idea I've gotta get it workin ;-)

Thanx a bunch!

·
Registered
187 Posts
teedty1... our sunroof motor has a built-in module... so it opens and closes by giving a pulse of signal... but windows is different... as IRS said you need a module anyway to control windows... i think that is what you are looking for... DEI module connects between window motors and switches... and also constant power which is normally white wire in console (you need to find thickest wire to run windows)... if you still just look for a constant power wire...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I got windows workin without the key in the ignition ;-)

If you cut the wire labled "IGN" in the wiring diagrams (pin 12 I think ;-) and connect it to constant 12V you're good to go...

Then all you gotta do is solder some extra leads into the upper circuit board of the switch module and connect a few relays and you can operate the switches with any device (alarm, computer, etc)

And no... this won't burn out your motors, unless by holding the factory switch down or up after the window has stopped moving can burn the motors. Lemme know if THAT is possible.

If anybody wants more detailed info just reply and I'll post pics / diagrams / something ;-)

Thanx for the help!

Andy

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok, I get what you are trying to do. Now, regardless you will have to build relays to do such a thing. There are no "leads" I can think of off the circuit board on the window switch. If the celica window switch operates like every other window switch out there...it runs on a 5wire system. Where as one wire needs to rest on ground, while the other is given 12+v to trigger the window motor...this will hold true for up and down functions.

If you understand how the switch is actually working, you will see you will still need to do the following to make this work.

You will have to still cut the window up and window down lines...and toss in your own relays. Now, sending these relays 1 pulse will raise/lower the windows about 2" at a time. I can visually picture this...using 4 relays if you want individual control of both windows. You can trigger these relays using your desired method...touch screen etc...

If you want to be able to bring them all the way down, or all the way up...the easiest I can think of is adding in a Pulse timer to the existing 4 relays. That would eliminate the need for extra relays/window modules if done properly.

Please, put up a diagram of how you want to do it...I can visualize the whole idea in my head...and could probably come up with a way in a short time to do it...but I want to see what kind of ideas you are tossing over there. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok... so here goes nothin! Don't forget to make sure you're wires are in the same place... I have a 2003 GT-S and I've already noticed that A LOT of wires have moved between the diagrams for the 2002 and earlier models (namely in the audio system).

To get windows operational without the key being in the ignition is fairly simple...

Pull out your window switch box and cut the wire going to pin 12. Should be a red wire labled "IG" in the wiring diagrams and also on the circuit board inside the switch box. Like I said, check this before cutting. Splice the harness end of this wire into a constant 12V source... TADA... you've got a little orange light on the driver's switch shining at you and you can now raise and lower the windows.

Now for the phun part... Here are the first diagrams of what I did to give me control, using my alarm system for the time being, over the windows.

I soldered wires onto each of the labled contacts. I dropped a relay on each of the four window contacts. This replicates the action of the switch... These relays went in a custom box underneath the factory window switches

This image is from my Visio wiring diagram... forgive me if its messy... I wasn't planning on showing anybody my mess ;)

The impulse relay is basically a solenoid that switches two SPDT switches. Everytime you apply current the solenoir pops and the common pole switches to the other pole on each switch... If that made ANY sense to you I'm VERY impressed, it's late here and I need sleep.

The DPDT relay switches when the aux #2 output of the alarm is triggered. This relay switches the impulse relay from down mode to up mode or vice versa. As long as you keep the aux triggered the sunroof and window move and then when you release the aux they stop but the impulse relay stays in the same position. The next time you hit and hold aux the impulse relay switches and the windows and sunroof go in the opposite direction.

Here's a link to the Visio file showing all the wiring I've done so far... Most of the above crap is in there too.

Diagram

Send me any questions!

Thanx,

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.