NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone on here installed an air/oil separator in their Celica, specifically on a 1ZZ-FE? Mine has been eating oil up since I bought it a few years ago (paid $1300 for it, heh). I know the 2000-2002s had crappy piston rings that didn't last very long, and my guess is this one is affected since it's a 2000 GT. I have about 133k miles on it. I've had literally no other issues with it, other than cosmetic defects. Never stalled once.

Basically I'm getting tired of filling the oil up all the time. With the standard weight/thickness I lose about 2.5 to 3 qt every 3k miles, sometimes more depending on weather/driving aggression; with the higher viscosity (I think 10W-30 or higher, can't remember) I lose about 2 quarts every 3000 miles. Of course I check it about every two weeks to make sure I don't run low.

Anyway, this car is nothing special to me other than it runs and I'd like to keep it that way, but I think with the amount of oil I'm putting in it an AOS might pay for itself as long as it drains back into the crank case (as the GrimSpeed AOS does). Plus there's enough oil sludge in it at this point that you can see it from the oil cap and I figure it's going to start backfiring if this continues.

Yes, I know, replacing the piston rings is the fix here but I might as well rebuild the engine at that point and with that effort/cost, I might as well buy a new car.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
You can see if it is an issue by looking at the throttle body where the PCV dumps in. There are a number of threads around here for oil catch can installs. Given the near $300 cost of the GrimSpeed, there will be a long time before you break even saving oil. Especially when you could put that $ towards a ring/hone job instead.

Use an oil w/a higher flash point, like a High Mileage variety. It will reduce the burn off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I posted this I didn't understand how a combustion engine works very well. Watched some youtube videos and doing more car work has educated me a little bit.

@2way, you're right, and my old man also recommended I switch to a higher weight, "high mileage" oil. I've been running 10W-40 and 15W-40 high mileage, usually synthetic. I only burn about a quart per change now (3k-4k miles). Also made it my fall/winter beater since every part of the AC system has failed. Definitely bearable until the engine implodes and I drop in the 2002 1ZZ-FE from my parts car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts