NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never noticed this before, maybe i wasnt paying close attention. When im in a high gear at a lower speed (e.g. 5th gear at 40) and i push the accelerator half way or all the way my rpm's go up to about 4.5k to 5k and then the acceleration kicks in and it starts to match the road speed to engine speed while the rpms drop off to where they should be. This doesnt seem normal to me. It makes for better acceleration in 5th and 6th gears at lower speeds but when in in 3rd going about 35 and do the same thing it goes up to about 5k and then accelerates the car. Is this a problem or a feature? because for some reason it doesnt feel right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which part of the clutch is this problem associated with? oh and could this have anything to do with the grinding when i put it into reverse?

·
Registered
346 Posts
your clutch is slipping. mine got so bad that if i even breathed on the accelerator, the engine would rev for about 5 sec and then just increase the speed at a crawl....I got mine replaced a little bit ago and it drives great now. i dont know about the reverse thing.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car? It may still be covered under warranty, but you'd better take off any mods or your dealership will accuse you of beating on the car. Not sure how much replacing it would cost, but it's not gonna be cheap. You should definitely get an aftermarket clutch while you're at it, and if you've got the money, a flywheel and/or an LSD. Both parts can only be installed while the tranny is off, so you'd save $$$$ in the long run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think its gettin pretty close to 51k miles. and what aftermarket clutch would you reccomend?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
How many miles do you have on the car? It may still be covered under warranty, but you'd better take off any mods or your dealership will accuse you of beating on the car. Not sure how much replacing it would cost, but it's not gonna be cheap. You should definitely get an aftermarket clutch while you're at it, and if you've got the money, a flywheel and/or an LSD. Both parts can only be installed while the tranny is off, so you'd save $$$$ in the long run.
:werd: I am getting my new clutch put in on Thursday, I got an ACT XT clutch and fidanza flywheel, the clutch cost about $380 shipped and flywheel cost me $330 picked up at a local shop and I am getting them both put in for $250

1 - 9 of 9 Posts