NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm having problems with my front brakes. My EBCs suck ass but its more than that. On the drivers side the outer pad is wearing faster than all the other pads. Not sure why this is happening. That pad is getting so thin that it looks like its time for new ones but the other 3 still look almost new.

I have new OEM pads coming in but does anyone have any advice past that. I know that I also need to check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Im not the super god of brake tech but I can lend you my thoughts.

Its normal to see SOME faster wear of the driver side front components because that is the one that is closest to the master cylinder, hence pressure is obtained easier,stronger and quicker. If your brakes are bled correctly though, the pressure should be very equal throughout the entire system- in theory. I dont know how many circuits are on the celica, Im guessing 2? If someone could shed light on that I could further elaborate on a certain bank running low or higher... Its weird that you get faster wear though, usually if a circuit in a braking system is weak, you get less wear and braking ability. I would replace ALL the fluid in the system and put new pads and possibly a new driverside caliper on if your budget allows. Also check your rotors for runout tolerances.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It may be that the pad is low because of poor caliper pin lubrication.

Theres pins that your caliper slide back and forth on when you brake. If you dont keep a little bit of grease on those pins, it makes them harder to move. If theres a good amount of brake dust buildup on them too, even more so.

Seeing as how the EBCs suck, I would throw a new set of pads on, clean the caliper/caliper bracket of dust buildup, add grease (there is a special kind of grease for brakes) around the caliper pins and "ears" (tabs that mount the pad in the caliper bracket) of the brake pads. Like Brian said, It might be a good time to have your brake fluid flushed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You both bring up great points and I'm going Brians route, new OEM pads, new driver caliper, and maybe new rotors (tech letting me know what shape there in). I may even add braided lines to the system as well. My boy at Craftsman says this route is the best way to ensure no further problems, really wish I could have just put new pads on but oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts