NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the k+n typhone, and followed the directions. but my check engine light came on. went through everything again. the light came back on so i then i brought the car to auto zone to decode the problem. the results said "running lean bank one". i told K+N about the problem and the said to run the car for about 100 miles reset the ecu and run it some more and the light should not come on. it did and they told me to bring it to toyota. i dont have the cash or know how to do it myself. anyone have this problem or knows what i can do, anything will be a big help thanx.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i don't know where blanford is. if it's anywhere near north shore, we can take a look at it. maybe you'll end up buying one of easyC's intakes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blandford is about 40 min. west of springfield.
i now the K+N is not the best intake but how is it any different from any other intake

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
A typical problem with intakes. K&N's CAI looks a lot like AEM's. At worst, it could be your first O2 sensor causing the CEL, but there's a much greater chance that it's just the intake itself that's causing the problem, especially if the CEL came on immediately after you installed the intake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cel came or about 2 miles after i installed the intake. but i let the car idol in the drive way and nothing untill i drive it. i dont think its the car at all. in the instructions there are 2 little hoses that come out of the vacum switching valve that arn't being used. i dont know if this is the problem but it might be. any thoughts no that

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Those hoses should be removed, along with the valve, and the spot the hose attaches to on the intake manifold needs to be plugged up (should be a vacuum cap included with the CAI). That would cause a CEL eventually, but not one for a lean condition. It's almost definitely the intake causing the problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what your saying is that i have to buy a different intake. i still dont understand how the K+N is any differant than any other intake. i mean it may be shaped different but all the sensers and vacums should be the same right? i mean whats wrong with the K+N that would cause this problem. i dont nessisarily need an exact reason but there must be someting the tpr or easyCs intakes have that the K+N doesnt

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
It has to do with the MAFS placement and the piping setup. There's a possibility that it may happen with almost any other intake out there, as well. You're right about the TPR intakes, they have MAFS fins that control airflow past the MAFS, making it basically impossible for the intake to cause a CEL (when properly installed ;) ). No other aftermarket intake for the Celica has this, or anything close to it (they're all just pipes with MAFS mounts). That's why there's a huge waiting list for them. People are willing to wait for something that will give them no problems, and perform better than anything out there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had a K&N short ram on for 7-8 months with no problems...until now. I replaced the MAF, reset the ecu, and two days later CEL. The trouble codes are p0171 and p0441. Bank one too lean...No.1 O2 snesor maybe in this case. That is what i am leaning towards, since I've had no problems till now. I dunno...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Why don't you try putting your stock unit back in and see if the CEL appears again after resetting your ecu? If it doesn't then you know it's your intake, if it does, then you know you an o2 problem, etc...

figure out what is wrong before you go chasing good money after bad.

I would suspect it's the intake though....

·
Registered
200 Posts
make sure u plug the right plug in, most people tend to plug the blue plug into the sensor, but it should be the black one, if not that make sure the little nipple they give u is plugged on

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by GT eSence
make sure u plug the right plug in, most people tend to plug the blue plug into the sensor, but it should be the black one, if not that make sure the little nipple they give u is plugged on
True, but that would just cause an EVAP related CEL, not a lean condition one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i recived a plug but didnt know where it was suposed to go. the directions just said where and how to mount the senser and nothing more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i recived a plug but didnt know where it was suposed to go. the directions just said where and how to mount the senser and nothing more. and it never mentioned anything about the plug

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Nah, that's a different plug than what he was talking about. You're talking about a small little rubber cap, right? That goes onto the front right of intake manifold once you remove the system of thin hoses that come off of it. There's a blue electrical plug that goes onto the vacuum switching valve (VSV) in the middle of those hoses that sometimes gets mixed up with the black plugs that go to the other two VSVs (one connected to two medium sized hoses above the intake, and one connected to the VSV with the thick hose that attaches to the intake piping).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts