NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a custom box for my Celica and I put the subs and amp in today to see how they sound and there is something wrong. It seems like the subs are getting a little bit of power but not much. I messed with the settings on the amp but couldn't get any more out of it. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
Thanks
Corey

BTW, the Subs are JL 12w3's and the amp is a JL 500/1.

·
Registered
486 Posts
im not sure what's wrong with yours but i was running my 2 12's in parallel so it was running at a 2 ohm load with my rf 800 watt amp so i can push 400 watts into each sub. i think the jl amp you need to run it at a 1 ohm load right?? im not too sure but yea. maybe the other guys in the forum can help you out more then i can

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the JL amp has to run between 1 and 4 ohms to be stable. I've got my 12's wired in series because they are 2 ohm subs. I'm pretty sure I have them wired right, but this is my first time wiring DVC subs. The thing that I don't understand is that there are two post at each + and -, so should there be a wire at each post of the + and -?
Thanks
Corey

·
Registered
474 Posts
//00 Silver GTS said:
The thing that I don't understand is that there are two post at each + and -, so should there be a wire at each post of the + and -?
Are they dual voice coil subs? If they are you're probably not hooking them up correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I have input set to low voltage. Here is how I have my subs hooked up.

This is the way I understood the diagram JL sent with the subs.
Thanks for the help.
Corey

·
Registered
474 Posts
you need to connect your second voice coils to the main circuit. They aren't getting any power like that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is what I got for ya

Ok. Im putting my degree to work here. If your subs are 4 ohms for each coil, putting them in this arrangement will give you a total impedance of 1 ohm. That is good if your amplifier can handle it. I see that you have a JL 500/1. Im pretty sure it can handle this load. Its rated @ 1.5 ohms min but given the impedances in the wires and the terminals, you should be fine. IF you got the D6 W3's you are money. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
blazin-sc said:
Ok. Im putting my degree to work here.
Blazin-sc, do you want to expalin what "degree" you are using here? Is it like an ART degree or something??

The diagram that //00 Silver GTS put up there is 100% correct. Each sub is 4-ohm per coil. With each coil in series, that's making the sub 8-ohms. Then with both 8-ohm subs in parallel, that brings the total down to 4-ohms.

4+4=8 - series equation
1/8+1/8=1/4 - parallel equation

The JL amps put out the same power no matter what impedance you are running as long as it is between 1.5 and 4-ohms. The arrangement that //00 Silver GTS is running is correct.

Blazin-sc, you shouldn't say anything unless you know what you are talking about. This guy is looking for some help and you tell him to wire his subs to 1-ohm??? WTF are you smoking?

//00 Silver GTS, do you have a voltmeter? Also, do you have access to a portable CD player to plug directly into your amp?

Curt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The subs are 2 ohm and they are wired in series. I think may have found the problem in the line out converter I'm using. I think I may have mistakenly plugged the RCA's into the wrong jacks.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hopefully that fixes your problem. I know those line out convertors can be a major pain in the arse. If it does or doesn't solve your problem, let us know.

Curt

·
Registered
366 Posts
You piece of ****

I have a BS in EE. You probably dont even have a HS diploma. He was complaining that he wasnt getting the power that he wanted. I dont know what eqns you had but something just isnt right. 4 - 4 ohm loads in parallel is 1 ohm. That amp that he has can handle 1 ohm. I see it happen all the time. That will give him the maximum power and give him the most bang for his buck. That is why he bought that expensive ass amplifier. He could have done it the way that he had it but that is still a 4 ohm load. Lowering the impedance to 1 ohm will impedance match his load w/ his source impedance. I didnt mean to say that his diagram was wrong. But, I just wanted to let him know what other options he had in case he didnt want to use the 500/1. AIM me if you got beef: BlazzzinSC

·
Registered
366 Posts
SQ GT-S said:

Blazin-sc, do you want to expalin what "degree" you are using here? Is it like an ART degree or something??

The diagram that //00 Silver GTS put up there is 100% correct. Each sub is 4-ohm per coil. With each coil in series, that's making the sub 8-ohms. Then with both 8-ohm subs in parallel, that brings the total down to 4-ohms.

4+4=8 - series equation
1/8+1/8=1/4 - parallel equation

The JL amps put out the same power no matter what impedance you are running as long as it is between 1.5 and 4-ohms. The arrangement that //00 Silver GTS is running is correct.

Blazin-sc, you shouldn't say anything unless you know what you are talking about. This guy is looking for some help and you tell him to wire his subs to 1-ohm??? WTF are you smoking?

//00 Silver GTS, do you have a voltmeter? Also, do you have access to a portable CD player to plug directly into your amp?

Curt
The parallel impedance eqn is the following:

1/Rf = 1/R1 + 1/R2 .... you need to invert that eqn you had.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
blazin-sc said:
I have a BS in EE. You probably dont even have a HS diploma.
I have a high school diploma, thank you. I'm am going for a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a BS in Materials Science. I am in my 3rd year now, so I've taken plenty of electronics classes. The fact that you are saying you are an EE and can't understand Ohm's Law makes me wonder.

blazin-sc said:
I dont know what eqns you had but something just isnt right. 4 - 4 ohm loads in parallel is 1 ohm.
I never questioned that. I just said he shouldn't do that.

blazin-sc said:

The parallel impedance eqn is the following:

1/Rf = 1/R1 + 1/R2 .... you need to invert that eqn you had.
Dude, you just kicked yourself in the nuts on that one. I posted the equation that:

1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4, which is the exact same as your equation 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rf. Are you actually reading these posts??

blazin-sc said:
That amp that he has can handle 1 ohm.
According to JL's website, that amp should be run between 1.5-4-ohms. Sure, it might be able to handle 1-ohm, but why? The amp puts out the same wattage at 4-ohms as it would at 1.5-ohms. I've called JL Audio (since I'm on their competition team), and they do not recommend 1-ohm on a JL amplifier. Call and ask if you want.

Dude, I would love to continue going on about it, but I won't. I think you just need to re-read my first post, then read yours. Maybe you were paying attention and it was a simple mistake. Whatever. I don't want to turn this post into a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. If you want to, go ahead.

Curt

BTW, I don't have beef with you. I just have beef with people that post bad information for others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts