NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone its been a while since i have been on the forum. Sorry guys that Im reposting this question because I was not sure if I should have put this question in the install section. Thanks Larry for the great pictures of the install. Im have problems installing my own. I use to have eibach sportlines but the ride became harsh and they end up warranting them. They discountinued that spring so I ended up buying the hotchkis springs. The problem im having is with the rear springs they seem way to short I dont even have to compress the spring to put the hat on. So the shock is all loose when put together. There is no preload what so ever on the spring is this normal because with the eibach I had to compress the spring to put everything back together. Thanks in advance and any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well first thank you for responding. So when you installed the rear springs the assembly was loose there was no tension on the spring. How did it work out after the install? Because I feel a little skeptical installing these springs. What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well first thank you for responding. So when you installed the rear springs the assembly was loose there was no tension on the spring. How did it work out after the install? Because I feel a little skeptical installing these springs. What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again? Thanks guys.
I do remember that I was worried about the same thing, that the springs were too short. There wasn't any tension on the spring. When my car was lifted completely, there was a little bit of a gap, but under load, it's fine.

The Hotchkis springs are progressive, and the rear has a rate at 350 lb/in ramping up to 380 the further it gets compressed, while the Sportlines are also progressive, but have a (substantially) lower rate at 208 lb/in. I don't know what it goes up to, or if that's when it's fully compressed.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What happens if you have to change a tire and take the weight off the spring wont it all get loose again?
Assuming you are jacking up the left or right side of the car, the sway bar will keep the spring compressed. If you jack up both rear tires at the same time, then you need to be careful when lowering the car back down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts