NewCelica.org Forum banner

Projector Headlights, Vertical or Horizontal?

14K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  02GTS518 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im looking to replace the headlights on my blue 2000 gts but I can't decide which layout looks better.

At first I was thinking these (horizontal) to give a more aggressive look:

But now I'm thinking these (vertical) give a cleaner/smoother look:

Thoughts?

See less See more
#8 ·
I also love halos. It seems to me that a lot of the rage against the lights from Spec-D and Spyder is a matter of style, and I've never let anybody dictate my style to me.

But you've actually brought up a non-style downside to these lights. When you say "much more quickly," how quickly are you talking about? Because, for example, my OEM headlights are already hazed and cracked, so obviously whatever I buy new is going to be an improvement. But will they haze up in 6 months? A year? Two years? I don't need them to last 14 years like my originals. I just want them to look decent and work for a couple years.

#9 ·
Cheap Ebay style Halo's are exactly that "Cheap"

Output is horrible
Aiming them is difficult.
They flake and haze within months.
Putting HID's in them do not solve the light output problem.
They look horrible*
I got mine for free, but were off the my car within 3-4 months. Worst mod I have ever done to a car.

(Personal experience, save your money and save up for OEM hid instead. Even OEM halogens are better then these.)

#15 ·
Aka Rafa's list pretty much describes what I think of them, except I like the look. I personally thought of picking a set, but after seeing how they behave on a close friend's celica, I changed my mind.

The haze itself should not appear "within months", but the clear flaking definitively will. I also remember the wiring not being pleasant to allow the halos to light by themselves.

If you're ready to live with that, and somehow find a way to prevent clear flaking before it happens, I say go ahead. But you've been warned.

I decided to go the OEM/Black housing way (still a work in progress).

#16 ·
Just remember that there is a reason OEM parts are so much more expensive than a lot of aftermarket parts. They spend years developing the best possible part for the car that meets ALL requirements. OEMs spend a lot of money meeting the requirements that allows them to put that little DOT Approved onto their parts. Most aftermarket parts are NOT DOT approved to save money since those tests are not only time consuming, expensive, and difficult to pass. That means that the product most aftermarket suppliers make are illegal to use on public roads. There are some companies like Schroth and Hella that do become DOT approved but it isn't very common.

Lighting is something that you should not cheap out on since it not effects for your safety but it also effects the safety of others on the road around you. If I were you I would get new OEM headlights (or a good set of used ones) and if you really want a cool set of headlights that compliment your style look into retrofitting a set. There have been a few threads on this site where people added projectors and halos to OEM headlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.