NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the pros and cons for having an aftermarket pulley and cams? I have an auto GTS. Any HP gains?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I never installed pulleys on any of my cars, but I did stick some Crower Cams on my 99 Si. They were a mild street cams, so it didn't add too much power. I didn't like them one bit!!! At TDC, i had only 3 extra horses!!! I emailed Brain Crower and he suggested getting some adjustable cam gears. After tuning it I was able to get 15 horses! 15 hp for close to $900 is crazy! I also had to buy a B&M fuel pressure regulator to make sure I wasn't running lean!!! Anyway, I didn't feel the 15 horses, and it idled pretty crappy... keep in mind that these were mild cams!!! Imagine if I would've gotten more aggressive cams with bigger lobes... i prolly would've been stalling at every stoplight if i wouldn't rev it up! And I didn't find out 'till later that this was a horrible setup with my nitrous... because I had my intake cam advance 2 degrees... and well, what I didn't know until later was that when you advance the timing of the intake cam, you're also advancing your ignition timing!!! So, i ended up sticking my stock cams back in, selling my crower cams, and upped my shot to 60.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts