NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so yea, i was driving back from work tonight and got pulled over. the highway patrol started asking me about my exhaust when he pulled me over. then he says "the reason i pull you over is not for speeding, its because people have been complaining about your car and driving, and i just now happen to see you incase there is some confusion." its stupid considering i just moved back home about a month ago. so then he tells me to pop open the hood where he finds my SRI....

he tells me to go back into my car and he comes back with a ticket and tells me its for modified emissions. i hear its over $600 to have this done. this true?

oh, and appearantly i can't drive my car until i get this done or else i can be fined and who knows wtf else.

anyone delt with this in california? im pissed...

i have my stock intake but not stock exhaust.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no doesnt have carb legal sticker, but they didnt check for it i dont think. they were just feeling all around my sri.

u all think i can challenge this? probable cause or harrasement if these people who "complained" to him about me and my car is not documented with highway patrol?

i dont even race my car!...not even street legal events.

·
you dun goofed
2,164 Posts
i'm confused, why does he need to put back the stock exhaust? aren't all exhaust legal?
There's a certain decibel level that your exhaust needs to be under. If it goes over, they won't pass you. It's always better to be safe than sorry in these circumstances, because obviously not all exhausts will pass. And chances are, he probably heard you from a distance away, get rid of that obnoxious ebay fart cannon, it'll do you well. I have a TRD exhaust AND my car is red, and not once have I had trouble with the coppers. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm confused, why does he need to put back the stock exhaust? aren't all exhaust legal?
the cops here call it "illegal modification" no matter what. then u have to do this crap even if its CA legal just to prove it to them.

oh finding someone with stock exhaust...thats tuff considering not many people here i know drive celicas but im gonna try.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If it's from ebay, it most likely won't have a carb sticker on it. That's why the brand name parts cost more, because they have to go through the (expensive) process of getting it CARB legal. (that, and it's a brand name, lol)

IF those are the only two modifications you have, and you haven't messed with any other emissions parts, then put the stock intake on, and if your exhaust is only an axleback, then it's legal as long as it's less than 96 Decibels. You must have your stock cat, not any kind of aftermarket one, but it is legal to modify the exhaust anywhere after the cat. If you've got a silencer for your muffler, put it in, if not, I'd say try to find one unless you know it's less than 96 decibels.

I would imagine seeing the smog referee won't be cheap, but I doubt it'll be $600. I'd expect around $200, but I'm not sure. Actually, my teacher at school is a state referee, and several months ago, he was saying that the state got rid of all the referees as part of their budget cut, and they wouldn't bring them back until june. This was a while back though, it might've changed by now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's a certain decibel level that your exhaust needs to be under. If it goes over, they won't pass you. It's always better to be safe than sorry in these circumstances, because obviously not all exhausts will pass. And chances are, he probably heard you from a distance away, get rid of that obnoxious ebay fart cannon, it'll do you well. I have a TRD exhaust AND my car is red, and not once have I had trouble with the coppers. *knock on wood*
oh haha alright...thats true tho, i've actually been pulled over for my exhaust 3 times already. lucky my friends stepbrother is a cop and just sign's it off for me. haha

·
Registered
490 Posts
so yea, i was driving back from work tonight and got pulled over. the highway patrol started asking me about my exhaust when he pulled me over. then he says "the reason i pull you over is not for speeding, its because people have been complaining about your car and driving, and i just now happen to see you incase there is some confusion." its stupid considering i just moved back home about a month ago. so then he tells me to pop open the hood where he finds my SRI....
Do you really half to pop open the hood at the officer's request? I'm from a state with no emissions testing, so this stood out.

Also, we now have this forum for these type of topics:
Police Stories/Tickets Forum

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's from ebay, it most likely won't have a carb sticker on it. That's why the brand name parts cost more, because they have to go through the (expensive) process of getting it CARB legal. (that, and it's a brand name, lol)

IF those are the only two modifications you have, and you haven't messed with any other emissions parts, then put the stock intake on, and if your exhaust is only an axleback, then it's legal as long as it's less than 96 Decibels. You must have your stock cat, not any kind of aftermarket one, but it is legal to modify the exhaust anywhere after the cat. If you've got a silencer for your muffler, put it in, if not, I'd say try to find one unless you know it's less than 96 decibels.

I would imagine seeing the smog referee won't be cheap, but I doubt it'll be $600. I'd expect around $200, but I'm not sure. Actually, my teacher at school is a state referee, and several months ago, he was saying that the state got rid of all the referees as part of their budget cut, and they wouldn't bring them back until june. This was a while back though, it might've changed by now.
yea i have the stock cat on the car. the axle back is custom with magnaflow muffler they did at a muffler shop though. i dont believe its over 96 decibles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.