NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I've been trying to do this whole push button start thing ever since I installed my rfid pke system. It's cool that the doors automatically unlock and lock for me but it is somewhat pointless b/c I have to take my keys out to start my car anyway.

So here are my thoughts so far:

1) Remove wires from key cylinder so I can leave a key in the ignition at all times to keep the steering wheel unlocked

2) Use those wires to be able to control the ignition and starter via a push button start kind of deal

Problems:

1) I can only find buttons that are simply on and off so you just hold the button down until it starts and that's it. No acc, on, off buttons. My first thought was make a switch for the ignition and then use the push button to start, but that seems like too much crap to deal with.

2) If I do wire it up that way or any other way, if something goes wrong with the push button, I'm stuck b/c I now have a car that won't start with a key.

My solution as of now:

I'm thinking, using a double relay system would allow for me to press the push to start button once and that would then switch power to the ignition and turn that on and give a delayed signal to the starter to turn that on as well.

What I really wanted was one button that I could press once and go to acc, press again and turn the ignition on, and then press again and start the car. But I can't wrap my head around that right now. Any help with this would be awesome as this is what I really wanted to do.

Also give me your thoughts on the diagram and if the way I have it wired up will work.

And my rfid pke system has a starter kill. So someone being able to steal my car without the keys won't happen. The system has to sense my rfid key to allow the starter to work.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I have this push start system from advancedkeys.com does everything you are looking for check it out

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,371 Posts
Hmmm.......

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya. I had taken a look at that but for $400 plus shipping, it wasn't worth it to me (broke college kid). I bought a RFID pke system from viper for $70 that does all the same stuff as the advanced key does except the push to start. I figured I could wire something up and only end up spending $100 vs $400

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
Ya. I had taken a look at that but for $400 plus shipping, it wasn't worth it to me (broke college kid). I bought a RFID pke system from viper for $70 that does all the same stuff as the advanced key does except the push to start. I figured I could wire something up and only end up spending $100 vs $400
Yea u gotta pay for that complete kit you KNOW will work perfectly vs doing it yourself and potentially shooting yourself in the foot :shrugs: sounds like too big of a headache for something I consider kind of novelty. Taking your keys out of your pocket and inserting them into the car takes like 3 seconds. That $100-400 can be spent much better but if you do end up doing it. Document it for us to help future ppl out =)

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea u gotta pay for that complete kit you KNOW will work perfectly
Ya, but the system I got was from viper which is established vs. advanced keys which I never had heard of until I was looking into rfid systems. And the advanced keys one was 4 times the price just for the one without push button start. Mine has been working flawlessly and I love it. The main reason I got it was b/c I didn't have keyless entry at all and this system does both keyless entry and rfid hands free entry all for $70 (cheaper than most keyless entry). The push button was just an after thought.

All in all $70 for the rfid and keyless entry unit
$15 for 2 relays
$10 for a push to start button.

My $95 does exactly what the $400 system would do and does it just as well. That is, if my 2 relay wire diagram actually works.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thinking some more about the diagram. How would I turn the car off then?

·
15,371 Posts
Did you get the Ignited switch or the Toyota PTS?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My original thought was something like THIS but I think it looks dumb. I guess I'm looking for like a 5-pin 3 position push to start button but I only found one and it is a racecar design and that would have no place in my car.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the battery is dead how would I start the car with the keys?

2way: that's what I was trying to avoid. $200 is ridiculous to me. All I need is a button that maintains power to the first circuit and has temporary power to the second circuit. Seems like it's something someone should make

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ohhhh I have an auto.

Right now I'm leaning towards a switch for the ignition and the push button for the starter. That way I can also just flip the switch for the ignition to kill the car. That with my RFID starter kill seems like the best way right now

·
15,371 Posts
Seems like it's something someone should make
OEM did.

As you have discovered, you do need a way to engage/disengage the ignition.

One nice thing is that the Celica starter circuit is relay controlled. You might design a simple 555 timing circuit (w/a relay driver) that gives you a timed start when you turn on IGN.

There are several possible solutions.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to do my research on that then.

Another idea I had was to use my external logic board and just write a simple code to work with an oem push button. Just write something like if the board sees power from position 1 of the button then the board would output constant power to the ignition until the board sees power from position 3 which would essentially just be a simple switch circuit. Then if the board sees power from position 2 it would send a temporary signal to the starter.

My problem with this is I dont think this tiny logic board could handle the amps amd then it also runs on AA batteries so idk how I'd power it with the car

·
15,371 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I've decided I'm going to go with a switch and push button and I will be ordering the parts within the next few days. I've looked through both repair manuals and the FAQ's but was unable to find a pinout for the ignition harness.

How does the ignition get power? I plan on wiring the switch to a relay wired exactly like the top left one in my diagram. Will that work? Or does turning the key to ignition position "on" act as a switch and just connect 2 ignition wires together at the ignition harness? In other words, does the key simply connect pin 2 and pin 5 (made up pin numbers) where pin 2 is a constant 12v and pin 5 is the ignition wire. Knowing the pin out would keep me from having to run another wire through the firewall and to the switch when I could just use the ignition harness wire right there.

Working on a diagram right now. Will post that shortly

·
15,371 Posts
I've looked through both repair manuals and the FAQ's but was unable to find a pinout for the ignition harness.
Did you look at the Electrical Manuals stuck to this section?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Look good?

I did look in the manuals but all I could find was 2 ignition wire colors from the 2005 manual. I'm not sure if the wire colors or pin numbers would be the same for my 2000. I'm also interested to see what the pinout would be for all the wires of that harness.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts