NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
120? :wtf: It's a Celica GT, not a geo metro.
:chuckles:, k, I might have exagerrated a little. But yeah . . . havent really tested out my GT since I've had it for just a month, however I hit 120 easily and could of gone faster if I hadn't come up on traffic. . . . and no I DONT encourage testing out top speeds of celicas :evil:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What's exactly is the GT revlimit?

7000rpm in 5th on 195/60-15 = 143.5mph
7200rpm in 5th on 195/60-15 = 147.6mph

Of course, aero drag makes for a lower top speed.

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
i went 135 in my auto GT :D

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you DarkStar.

I have gotten up to 122 easily. However, I was hesistant to pull higher speed. I am trying to figure out the limit of the GT 5spd, w/o really hitting it I guess. :)

Anyone know if it's limited by gear/gearing? Or by the ECU. Even thoguh the owner's manual(01') suggests a GT-S can't pull higher than 106 or 116 on 5th gear. I know a lot of people have acheived more than that on 5th in their GT-S, so I am not quite sure if I should believe what Toyota says. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it isn't limited by the ECU. I've gone 140~ in my GT (scary), and that's where 5th gear redlined, so it's pretty much limited by the gearing of the car. Even if there was a gear that was taller (numerically shorter) for our cars, ie the 6th gear in the gt-s, I don't think the engine would pull anymore. kirei, maybe in your case your car would still pull because you're turbo, but look at the gt-s guys. They have a 6th gear, but their top speed is achieved in 5th.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
kireisceli said:
Even thoguh the owner's manual(01') suggests a GT-S can't pull higher than 106 or 116 on 5th gear. I know a lot of people have acheived more than that on 5th in their GT-S, so I am not quite sure if I should believe what Toyota says. :)
There's no electronic speed limit in the Celica, and the ECU doesn't even know what gear you're in (for the manuals). But it does limit the revs.

Comparison of Overall Ratios (ratio times final drive, excludes the minor differences in tire size)
GT-S 5th: 0.916 × 4.529 = 4.15
GT-S 6th: 0.725 × 4.529 = 3.28
GT 5th: 0.815 × 4.312 = 3.51

GT 5th is closer to GT-S 6th, than it is to GT-S 5th.

The higher revlimit of the GT-S means that even if it had the same gears, it would have a much higher top speed in each gear. That's why the shorter GT-S 5th is revlimited to about the same speed as the GT 5th.

And the most important thing to remember in top speed discussions, is that your speedo is wrong, maybe even 10% off.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daks:

Thanks, that was what I was asking. You meant 135ish, not 235ish. Right?

v0idGT:
140 will be good.

vvtlikick:
Knowing Hungster's GT-S is locked at 135 exactly made me thoguht the GT might be limited as well.

Anyone know if a LSD will change the final gear ratio by at least a little?

Thank you all again :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
just take the car up to 3500 in 5th and double the speed. Should be about 142, because the rev limiter will kick in at 7 grand

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was hoping that it will have a positive effect. I read something on Cusco's website. There was something about the LSD changing the final gear ratio, but I couldn't quite understand it with a translator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.