NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently jus got my alpine dva-5205 installed. However, it only seems to be able to play normal cds and none of my self-made cd-rs will work. I was wondering exactly how are they encoded differently and is there some way to get around it?

Mike

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's not the encoding, but how transparent they can be. Sometimes when you use cheap CD-R's, the laser shoots right through the CD. Hold one of your CD-R's up to a light and a normal CD. You'll see what I mean.

Some CD players are just picky about what kind of CD's they will play. I'm surprised that the Alpine won't play CD-Rs. What brand CD-R's are you using?

Curt

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using FujiFilm CD-Rs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SQ GT-S said:
It's not the encoding, but how transparent they can be. Sometimes when you use cheap CD-R's, the laser shoots right through the CD. Hold one of your CD-R's up to a light and a normal CD. You'll see what I mean.

Some CD players are just picky about what kind of CD's they will play. I'm surprised that the Alpine won't play CD-Rs. What brand CD-R's are you using?

Curt
I just tried that and I see exactly what you mean. Do you think using a CD label would fix this problem?

Mike

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
nothing will fix it really if it won't read. its because the cd isn't reflecting back enough light to be read. this is also very common with cdrws because they're so dark some optical pickups can't read em. try another brand of cds. usually cdrs don't give you problems but it can be very common with cdrws unless your cd player is made to play cdrws.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any recs on CD-R brands?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I use either Memorex or Maxell (I get them free). I haven't had any problems with them CD players reading them. The only complaint is that the Maxell's scratch easily, whereas the Memorex's don't.

Curt

·
Registered
264 Posts
Speed Racer said:

I just tried that and I see exactly what you mean. Do you think using a CD label would fix this problem?

Mike

I would never use a CD that has a "sticky" label on it in a car stereo. This could make the CD too thick and cause it to not eject from the little slot in the CD player. Besides, if any of the adhesive "melted" because of the CD getting warm (which they will) it could get all over the components inside of the CD player.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Speed Racer said:
Any recs on CD-R brands?

I have an Alpine CDA-7998 and I use Adaptec CD-Creator to create my MP3 CDs and it works fine. I do NOT, however, use the MP3 creation software (the MP3 CD Project)! I use the simple DATA CD project to create these files and put them into separate folders.

Media that I have used that works:
* PNY Technologies
* TDK
* K Hypermedia
* Optimum

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Deftech said:
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure that you have "closed" the CD-R? I know that for some CD players to read them they must be closed. Just a thought
Good point. Does the CD-R play on various other players? And no, the computer doesn't count.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it does. I've used them various times with my stock deck. Its just that the DVA-5205 seems to be picky as hell. Someone was recommendin me to use the Black bottom surfaced CD-Rs...I'm thinkin I might return the Maxwell CD-R Pro Edition that I bought and pick those up..

Mike

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It just doesnt read them man. I gave up after buying a million different brands of CD-R's. The Maxwell black surface was recommended to me months ago and thos edidnt work either. You just cant beat the system.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i had this same problem with memorex cd's. I burnt two different ones just to be sure, and neither one will work in my Alpine CDA-7998. Although the same two burnt cd's will work just fine in my playstation 2. The computer won't even read the damn things, that amazed me more than the deck.

TDK's work fine, and my burner is TDK... guess I better just stick with those :) Also something i noticed, the top of the TDK cd's have a thick white coat on them... the memorex have an almost transparent silver coating. This may go right back to what was said about the laser bouncing back.

O well..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does your manual for the CDA-7998 state that it can't read CD-Rs?

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
i usually use memorex also. make sure when u burn your cd-r's that u don't burn them any faster then 4x. the slower u burn them the better. when u burn them fast some cd players won't reconize that there are any songs on the cd and will eject it then. just my thought's.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just had the problem this weekend of a CD player that won't read some CDR's. I installed a Sony C910 and Sony XDP4000 over the weekend. The guy drove home and called me complaining that it only played some of his CDR's. He said all his Memorex and White colored cd's played great, but the "thinner" ones wouldn't play. The recommendation is to re-burn all his CD's with high quality CD's.

Curt

·
Registered
920 Posts
i had this same problem with memorex cd's. I burnt two different ones just to be sure, and neither one will work in my Alpine CDA-7998.
Does your manual for the CDA-7998 state that it can't read CD-Rs?
I also have the CDA-7998. Alpine cda-7998 can read both CDR's and CDRW's. You must be doing something wrong in the burning process. I've never had a problem with ANY brand of CDR and i've used a bunch of different ones including memorex.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Need4Spd said:

I also have the CDA-7998. Alpine cda-7998 can read both CDR's and CDRW's. You must be doing something wrong in the burning process. I've never had a problem with ANY brand of CDR and i've used a bunch of different ones including memorex.

Did no one read my post above? I explained how I burn CDs and I've names all the brands that I've tried and WORKED in my Alpine CDA-7998 player............

The ONLY time I had a problem in this player is when I created my CDs using the "MP3 Project" within EZ CD Creator..........that program does not format them correctly. What I do is use "DATA CD Project" inside of EZ CD Creator, and simply treat the *.mp3 files like data and burn the CD that way...........works perfect.

So, as Need4Spd states, you might be doing something wrong in the burn process. How are you creating the CDs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.