NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be pointless for me to get gauges + pod, cuz i don't have a turbo, boost, or anything in my engine.. its all stock.. and if it isnt pointless i guess, or there is a gauge i should get, what kind?

thanks

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
Jill,

Gauges like oil temp, voltage, shift timing, air/fuel, boost, exhaust gas temp, etc. are out there. If you are remaining stock, the stock gauges will provide all of the feedback you'll need.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
WillyWonka said:
Jill,

Gauges like oil temp, voltage, shift timing, air/fuel, boost, exhaust gas temp, etc. are out there. If you are remaining stock, the stock gauges will provide all of the feedback you'll need.
Oil temp and pressure IMHO are really useful no matter what you do. It lets you know when your car is truly warmed up, and in some cases, if something is spectacularly wrong.

Shift light - IMHO not worth it unless a) you are amused by LED's or b) you drag/autox/track your car. (for me its both, look at the blinking lights!)

AF - don't get one unless you get a wideband and don't bother unless you are doing something crazy engine wise.

boost, EGT, same except you don't need a wideband.

john

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
Originally posted by Butt Dyno
Oil temp and pressure IMHO are really useful no matter what you do. It lets you know when your car is truly warmed up, and in some cases, if something is spectacularly wrong.

Shift light - IMHO not worth it unless a) you are amused by LED's or b) you drag/autox/track your car. (for me its both, look at the blinking lights!)

AF - don't get one unless you get a wideband and don't bother unless you are doing something crazy engine wise.

boost, EGT, same except you don't need a wideband.

john
:werd: and if it actually does see track time, I suggest getting an oil cooler as well.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Originally posted by JillGT
where can i find stock gauges, ......
In the dash, behind your steering wheel. Toyota was nice enough to include a set for you. They typically light up orange. :D

If you're doing it for the "cool factor", and have no intentions of leaving marked highways, then I'd suggest oil pressure and water temperature. OP could have saved me on one instance and the stock WT pisses me off because it a pointless dummy gauge. I need numbers. I'm a data junkie.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
EGT is actually useful if you're boosted, but I think if you're NA then oil temp/oil pressure/water temp are all fine.

However, if you don't NEED them then its kinda pointless to blow the money unless you need that BLING look.

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
marc said:
EGT is actually useful if you're boosted, but I think if you're NA then oil temp/oil pressure/water temp are all fine.

However, if you don't NEED them then its kinda pointless to blow the money unless you need that BLING look.
EGT is a good indicator of A/F ratio. It would be nice to have if you don't have a WB O2 in all the time.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
oil temp and pressure are neccasary on any car if you drive it harder than your grandma would. Thats just my opinion.

Jerry has some sweet ass greddy gauges in his GTS. Maybe he will be nice enough to post some pics for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts