NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GT silver (1E7), and the spoiler paint is looking bad and has come off in places, so it needs to be repainted. The previous owner had it repainted same color, so the spoiler has two coats on it. I am considering doing the work myself, but found this online (below), and was thinking that by the time I buy all the supplies and time to do it myself, this might be a good option:

First Question: Has anyone had any experience with this vendor/spoiler , or can you recommend any other vendor at a similar price point? (I would order it pre-painted for $119)
Second question: Is the original factory spoiler made of plastic or fiberglass?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Celica GT
16 Posts
Ok, I'm in MN. The paint is in really good condition I believe, its been vinyl wrapped for over a year so I think it should be fine

·
Registered
2003 Celica GT
16 Posts
Honestly I dont know if it would be worth it for either of us because shipping will be so expensive.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
If I were you, I'd explore your options. That website might be good, I would try and check out online and see if you can find any reviews on that website and also check the BBB as people seem to go there to make valid complaints about a business.

I would say, if you feel up for it to try and get into painting it yourself. It depends if you think you'll have a passion for that. There are many painting forums online to learn about spray guns, clear coat and base coat. I would say the hardest thing will be to paint match exact however since your paint is already peeling off, you could take that into a local automotive paint selling store and bring them a sample and let their machines do the mixing stuff for you. Most of these places do that and they can also assist you with getting the right supplies but I would also check online forums as well.

At one point I considered getting into it and it seems like a pretty good thing to do, especially since I have a passion for detailing cars, painting was next in the list but I never got around to doing it. Your spoiler paint is a perfect excuse to get into it since it's a fairly small and testable peice. Then you could do your whole car if you wanted to. This will save you thousands overall, later down the road when you want to get your car repainted. Plus if you get good at it, you could do some side gigs and make some pretty good money for it.

If you don't have the time to do all of this. Next you could check like your local Craigslist for someone who does like "auto body and paint". You'll get people from companies to individual freelancer painters who can do it.

Lastly, I'd say check ebay.

Since these forums are not as active as they once we're, you could wait around to try and find one for here or also even check your local junk yards. Bound to be one in good condition their and you can haggle on the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts