NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 70-8113 wiring harness for my car. I installed it and wanted to run it through a quick test so I grabbed an RCA to 2.5mm jack and my laptop and went out to my car. (The ones used for surround sound on PC's) I plugged it in and started playing music, as it was playing I plugged the headphone jack in and.... nothing. I was a little concerned about this but my dad said it was because I didnt have my amp hooked up and the little laptop wasnt pushing enough power to hear any thing through the speakers. I would think that no matter what you would hear some thing very faint if nothing else? Any one know if this is normal and if thats right? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
BlackSun said:
I just bought a 70-8113 wiring harness for my car. I installed it and wanted to run it through a quick test so I grabbed an RCA to 2.5mm jack and my laptop and went out to my car. (The ones used for surround sound on PC's) I plugged it in and started playing music, as it was playing I plugged the headphone jack in and.... nothing. I was a little concerned about this but my dad said it was because I didnt have my amp hooked up and the little laptop wasnt pushing enough power to hear any thing through the speakers. I would think that no matter what you would hear some thing very faint if nothing else? Any one know if this is normal and if thats right? Thanks a lot.
Wait you were playing the music off the headunit or laptop? The RCAs in back are outbounds.. they push the music freq out not bringin it in. And your laptop would be fine (if you have an inbound rca) because all the cable is doing it transfering the music to the headunit which will then play it over the radio and it will be amplified by the headunits built in amp.

·
Registered
419 Posts
you cant do that i dont think... with the wiring harness just hooked up to your laptop you wont have the signal from the HU to turn on the in car amp... so your signal is gitting to the amp and just ending there

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The wiring harness he has just has RCA outputs instead of the speaker level inputs. From what I've gathered he tried inputting into an output. What you need to do is a get a headphone 3.5mm to rca and hook that to the aux input on the HU

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
The wiring harness he has just has RCA outputs instead of the speaker level inputs. From what I've gathered he tried inputting into an output. What you need to do is a get a headphone 3.5mm to rca and hook that to the aux input on the HU
thats what i was thinking was going on too

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok this is how I have this setup, I dont have a HU I have a computer in my car. No HU at all no way to put one in every again so some crazy buying a cheap HU and wiring it back through that is out of the question. From my laptop I have a 5.1 Surround Sound controller (tested and working). So this is how its running. I go from the RCA cables on my wiring harness into 2 Y splitters, and then those go into the left and right for the surround sound controller since they are 2 channel outputs.

Wiring Harness -> Left and Right out on sound card -> sound card to laptop

When I do this and I turn it all on I dont hear any thing. Should I run the amplifier wire from my wiring harness to like the cigarette lighting or some thing to give it power when I turn it on so it doesnt hit that when its 'off' when I try to play the music or what? Thanks a lot for the help so far. And the Y splitters are 2 RCA jacks to 3.5mm Headphone jack. I tested this all in my room and it works now I just need it to work on the car side of this.

In my first post I meant 3.5mm not 2.5mm It was a typo, sorry.

Nevermind all that I figured it out. I just hooked my Amp on/off wire of my wiring harness into my Acc. wire and it works fine now. Every thing sounds good. I have that loud ass buzzing noise so it looks like Im going to need to go out and pick up a ground loop isolator but other than that it all works good.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
by the amp off/on i take it you mean the remote wire?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, on the wiring directions for my harness it said Amplifier On/Off = Blue/White, So I did a search on here and seen that people needed to get power to their stock amplifier so I just wired that wire in to the Acc. wire that way when I turn my car on it gets power, or turn it to Acc. any way. So it works just fine now. I have a few things Im going to try to clean up my sound now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
BlackSun said:
Nevermind all that I figured it out. I just hooked my Amp on/off wire of my wiring harness into my Acc. wire and it works fine now. Every thing sounds good. I have that loud ass buzzing noise so it looks like Im going to need to go out and pick up a ground loop isolator but other than that it all works good.
thats exactly what i was talking about a few days ago... hmmm maybe listen to me instead of ignor my post (not directed at BlackSun but at the people who just explained to me what the harness was

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I took what you said and figured hmm, maybe I need to get the amp on some how to push the sound through. So I took what you said and then searched for ways to turn the amp on. Thanks a lot. its all working good now. SUPER loud noise when I turn my amp on and there is no sound going to it. But other than that there is just a VERY VERY faint noise when I rev my engine and stuff but that can be fixed with a ground loop isolator. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
BlackSun said:
Well I took what you said and figured hmm, maybe I need to get the amp on some how to push the sound through. So I took what you said and then searched for ways to turn the amp on. Thanks a lot. its all working good now. SUPER loud noise when I turn my amp on and there is no sound going to it. But other than that there is just a VERY VERY faint noise when I rev my engine and stuff but that can be fixed with a ground loop isolator. Thanks again.
What are you using for ground?, it shouldn't hum that bad turning on, that usually means theres bad resistance and looping..

·
Registered
419 Posts
the ground loop isolator should work for you but the ones ive used only have 2 ports so you will need two of them. A better solution might be to ground the amp and the headunit to a different place and dont have them on the same ground... i believe the "digital ground" is the ground for the amp, which was running through the HU before getting somewhere which is fine if they are meant for that

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont have a head unit Im hooking this all up through my computer thats mounted in to my trunk. So the ground coming off the wiring harness isnt being used. The only think I have thought of doing this far was already mentioned and thats to re run the amp ground from behind the glove box to a different spot. I am going to buy 2 ground loop isolators today because I have that faint hmm that goes with the rev of the engine and other electrical devices when I use them. So I hope that will take care of that. I would think that those 2 solutions would pretty much knock out any other problems Im having.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.