NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live and work very close to the anne arundle/prince george's county line. if i was being followed/chased by a P.G. county police officer and crossed the county line into A.A. (and vice versa), would the cop still be allowed to pull me over? or would he be out of his jurisdiction?

now i'm not saying that i would be dumb enough to try doing this if a cop was trying to pull me over, i am just curious.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
The cop would probably radio ahead to contact A.A. police and enter their jurisdiction and pull you over, or the cop would notify A.A. police of you and let them pull you over...

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i thought. so once you cross the county line, the cop has to stop following you?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
it also depends on what you are doing wrong.. if you are going 100mph i'm sure they would go into pursuit.. plus, they'd get you on evading the police as well.. but if you have clear bumper lights they might let you go into the next jurisdiction without a care.. also depends on the cop.. i live right next to herndon, which has their own police department.. i've had a cop pull a u-turn on me when i was driving down fairfax co. pkwy which is in reston, but as i saw him do that i turned off the pkwy and drove well into herndon.. no more popo.. dunno why.. but probably because of jurisdiction.. i'm sure he wanted to give me a ticket for exhaust..

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
HELL NO...if an officer is "in persute" he can follow you all the way to the mexican boarder if he wants....He has to radio ahead for another officer in the other jurisdiction to be there to pull you over though and arrest you. (it's happened to me)

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks guys. i had a P.G. cop following me earlier and i was like "hmm.... i wonder....?" thanks for clearing it up for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Like PhatCellyGT said, the arrest and ticket from THAT jurisdiction has to come from an officer in that jurisdiction, but the original officer can still cite you for violations in his jurisdiction.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This reminds me of something else. When I was involved in an accident on Rt. 301, the PG Co. cops wanted to wait until the State cop came because it is a state highway and apparently Co. cops prefer to have the State Boys investigate, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
IrCGTS said:
it also depends on what you are doing wrong.. if you are going 100mph i'm sure they would go into pursuit.. plus, they'd get you on evading the police as well.. but if you have clear bumper lights they might let you go into the next jurisdiction without a care.. also depends on the cop.. i live right next to herndon, which has their own police department.. i've had a cop pull a u-turn on me when i was driving down fairfax co. pkwy which is in reston, but as i saw him do that i turned off the pkwy and drove well into herndon.. no more popo.. dunno why.. but probably because of jurisdiction.. i'm sure he wanted to give me a ticket for exhaust..

Actually no. Fairfax County Police have jurisdiction in the town of Herndon. If you remember a few months back, Fairfax County Police did a sting operation at Mike's Ice House (the bar on Elden Street) in Herndon targeting inebriated patrons. Fairfax County Police have jurisdiction in Herndon.

miket

·
Registered
179 Posts
PhatCellyGT said:
HELL NO...if an officer is "in persute" he can follow you all the way to the mexican boarder if he wants....He has to radio ahead for another officer in the other jurisdiction to be there to pull you over though and arrest you. (it's happened to me)
he is right. the cop can follow you anywhere if you "broke the law" in his jurisdiction. however if he does pull you over or have you detained somewhere out of his jurisdiction, he has to wait for the authorities from that jurisdiction to show up and take over.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have made a new mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when a PIG is following you, just press this new button installed on the left side of the wheel, a small hatch will open and a dougnut (with sprinkles and if in a good mood, jell filled) will shoot out and distract the cop so you can get away!:burnout:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Don't forget that every place I have ever lived, there are neighboring county agreements that allow a cop to arrest you in an adjacent county.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts