NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the sf kit for over 2000 miles now and all i can say is that it runs great. No cel or anytning. I just got my rps max street clutch installed and it holds power great. But I notice that my car has a much louder rumbling sound from the engine. Sounds like I have an exhaust coming from the motor, its really not a bad sound. before they installed the clutch, it did not have the sound. Also i did get a cel but i just resetted the ecu and its now gone. So does anyone with the sf kit have a louder engine and is this normal??

The guy that installed the clutch was the same perosn that installed the turbo kit. I asked him and he said that he put everything back the way it was. Also, I am now running synthetic gear fluid. Does that have an impact??

·
Registered
656 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with the SF kit. I have heard when an aftermarket clutch is breaking in it will chatter at first and be sort of loud. I'm getting my clutch put in on thursday and I will let you know if I hear a difference

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
I didnt have any chatter when i installed my ACT clutch....maybe one of your pipes is vibrating

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just go thru your pipes and make sure its not banging against anything else. I agree with Smaay. Mine did that at first but it went away. When I started to mess with the pipes, it came back and now I gotta find the rattle again.

Richard

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not a rattling sound but sounds like an exhaust tone. the sound happens right when i start the engine.

Also I was driving today and all of a sudden, some white smoke came out of the hood scoop for like 2 seconds and then went away. so far hasn't come back. what does that mean? This never happened before I got the clutch put in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check your donut gasket. I hear the same thing out of my car and it is because my gasket went to ****. If I open the vents inside the cabin I can smell the fumes getting in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ur right alfy thanks. the donut gasket looks like ****. there is a now a huge leak coming out of it. i think thats where all the sound is coming from and my rattling is coming from. can i just buy an ordinary donut gasket at pepboys or autozone? thanks alot guys

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have the same smell coming in my cabin...which makes me think I might have the same problem.
What is the donut gasket? Anyone have a picture and where it's located?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Its that gasket that goes between the exhaust pipe and the turbo...there is a similar one at the axle back connection....

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'll check that out when I get my e-cutout installed on Friday, will that be easily replaceable by a muffler shop?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok im having a problem finding the donut gasket. . i know the piping size is 2.5" on the downpipe. u guys with the sf kit, what did u use for the donut gasket?? i went to autozone and they had a cadillac donut gasket which was 2.5". can i use that, someone help.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Originally posted by exotic performance
I see a few people are doing what i did.
lol, yeah actually I checked under my car today and I have no idea how that pipe is going to fit since everything is bend...do you have any pictures other than the closeup of the e-vent?
FYI: I bought the same one from DMH that you got.
I'm going to have to wait a few more days because my bungs in order to relocate my wideband have not yet arrived...

Also I still would like to get the donut gasket question answered as well...where is it and what can we use to replace it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good and bad news. the good is that we were able to fix the donut gasket. we used some 83 chevy donut gasket and it fitted perfectly. the bad is that it is leaking some where else still. we found out that it is coming from the turbo. seems like one of the bolts got loose or something. on wednesday, we are going to take out the manifold again and take a close look.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm having the same symptoms. I know my exhaust manifold didn't line up correctly with the downpipe before, but that was fixed a while ago at SF. The car was much quieter, but I still smell gas fumes when I go WOT or if I'm giving it gas while crusing. I forgot to mention it to Mike when he had my car last. I'll be watching this thread for pics of this donut gasket so I can check it out.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
CONTROL ONE said:
hahahahaha

does anyone have a 100% WORKING SF kit?
Most of them work rather well when not in the hands of people that never get their cars tuned properly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts