NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Quick release hubs? I'm thinking of grabbing one does anyone have any pro's or con's? I was gonna go with a NRG one of course.

Tommy K

·
Registered
614 Posts
there are different types of quick releases from NRG
i personally tried 2 different:
Now I have a slim version:
http://www.livesockets.com/shop/assets/images/NRG-SRK-400S.jpg
paint in the ass to remove the steering wheel, I have to use a piece of leather to grab it when the hands are sweaty and cannot take it out of put it on if the engine is on.

before I had this:
http://www.statracing.com/images/store/nrg-quick-release-hub.jpg
Very easy to take it off, easy to put it on, thinking about gettin one.

with both of these quick releases there is an issue with horn button. Actually, its not with release, its with the steering wheel hub you need to get.. require some customization. Also u will lose cruise control and u need airbag kill light kit if it bothers u.
Other than that its nice, i like it. And more thief protection as well.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
there are different types of quick releases from NRG
i personally tried 2 different:
Now I have a slim version:
http://www.livesockets.com/shop/assets/images/NRG-SRK-400S.jpg
paint in the ass to remove the steering wheel, I have to use a piece of leather to grab it when the hands are sweaty and cannot take it out of put it on if the engine is on.

before I had this:
http://www.statracing.com/images/store/nrg-quick-release-hub.jpg
Very easy to take it off, easy to put it on, thinking about gettin one.

with both of these quick releases there is an issue with horn button. Actually, its not with release, its with the steering wheel hub you need to get.. require some customization. Also u will lose cruise control and u need airbag kill light kit if it bothers u.
Other than that its nice, i like it. And more thief protection as well.
did you remove your cruise control switch and all that stuff?
i didnt notice that. couldnt it be mounted somewhere else?
is your air bag light on at all times? you may be able to get rid of that with some resistors i believe.

·
Registered
614 Posts
yes, i did remove cruise control, its mounted on the steering wheel. anyway i hate it.

yes, the airbag light is on all the time.. I need airbag kill kit, which can be bought online.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i did remove cruise control, its mounted on the steering wheel. anyway i hate it.

yes, the airbag light is on all the time.. I need airbag kill kit, which can be bought online.

Did you happen to have any pic's of the unit installed on your car? And where would we get the airbag light kill relays from? Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
no, no pics, but i'll take one for you later today.
as to the airbag light kill kit, i have idea how to do it yet) never did my research though. i''m sure someone did it before, i doubt i am the first person with celica who installed aftermarket wheel))
i know momo has hubs with airbag light delete wire but no idea if there is one for celica.
http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/mohubadkitwi.html

but i have never tried this one.
The easiest way to do it besides ignoring it ) is just to take out the led from cluster ))

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool man post those pic's G Thanks for you help in this.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I couldnt get teh blinker to return after making a turn, I had to do it manually.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just purchased the hub and then the security lock as well, it keeps someone from putting their own wheel one when you take yours off. I'll keep everyone posted when I get.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my buddy xoxol has one
he says its not nearly as easy to remove as they say it is and it sits slightly closer to the driver.

i removed the LED

I couldnt get teh blinker to return after making a turn, I had to do it manually.

it is PITA

i think its a waste to buy the quick release, i dont have one-i bought a sparco veloce

but long as u like it...:wiggle:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry for the delay, had to charge the camera yesterday.

As for the blinker return, i bought extra spiral cable and gonna try to make it work.
And in my case quick release is just another way to make it harder to steel my car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks thats the whole reason why I'm getting it, how did you wire your horn? Does it still work or did you go another route?

·
Registered
614 Posts
horn works. I have a piece of metal attached to a plastic cover from inside and its covered with that plastic sheering column cover, the other end of that metal touches the hub. That metal piece made from cooper and it works as a spring so it always touches the hub from the back. I added the positive wire to it.. and ground is taken from steering column itself. The sticky part is to find the horn wire. I used voltmeter to do so. I dont remember right now what color wire was it, but if I have a chance this week end or next, i'll take off the hub and will take some pictures.
The only problem with that way, you have to apply a lot of grease at the back of the hub otherwise every time you turn the wheel you will hear that sound when the piece of metal rubs against the hub.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
they make significantly shorter hubs for a car like ours so it doesnt stick so far forward

·
Registered
614 Posts
they make significantly shorter hubs for a car like ours so it doesnt stick so far forward
it doesnt stick, the wheel is at the stock distance, the difference is in hub thickness.

with crash type hubs (like mine) you have to use slim version quick release (like mine) and with short type hubs you have to use this quick release

to keep the wheel at nearly stock position.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Thats the one that I got.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.