NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raceland Celica Coilovers Available for Pre-order

Raceland now has 7th gen Celica coilovers in their store! I'm not sure if this is new news or not. I read the Scion Tc coilovers for the Celica thread and it looked like no one knew Raceland offered coilovers. About $400 shipped.
Here's the link

Edit: Orders are pre-orders.
***Please note: This coilover kit is currently available for pre-order. Purchase now to guarantee a spot on the next batch completed. Expected shipment date for this pre-order is around the first week of March.***

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Jesus those look awful! I'd barely call those coilovers, I'd call them struts with an adjustable spring perch.

Coilover:

See how ride height is adjustable independent of spring length? Those Racelands are more or less ebay coil over sleeves threaded onto some shocks. To change ride height you have to change the spring length which totally fucks the spring rate, handling, and ride.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks to me like both, the ones you posted and Raceland's adjust the spring length, but I have no experience with coilovers whatsoever. It looks like they're adjusted just like the ones you posted, Bitter

·
Ultraviolent
7,921 Posts
Jesus those look awful! I'd barely call those coilovers, I'd call them struts with an adjustable spring perch.

Coilover:
http://www.enjukuracing.com/product_images/o/442/f20brrabrz2__38130_zoom.jpg

See how ride height is adjustable independent of spring length? Those Racelands are more or less ebay coil over sleeves threaded onto some shocks. To change ride height you have to change the spring length which totally fucks the spring rate, handling, and ride.
Yup, which is the reason these AST Celica coilovers suck ass.

Dutch trash.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yes, the Dutch have no sense building anything that isn't made of wood.

Those coilovers are tested and designed and plotted and graphed and raced and everything else. I'm sure the springs are precisely matched to the dampeners and what not, and lets not forget that those would come with helper springs installed so you'd be compressing those to alter ride height, not the actual suspension spring which is different than those Raceland parts. The Raceland part is simply a threaded shock with a spring over it and an adjustable lower perch. I don't see any mention of adjustable dampening even or if it's a twin tube or monotube shock.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yes, it is. You're just less than half way to getting BC's which while still a cheap entry level product are bounds better than the Racelands. Unless ALL you care about is 'slamming your ride' of course. Maybe I'm an exception and a snob because I'd rather do it 'right' the first time rather than constantly jumping from one cheap product to one that's a little better and a little better and so on, shedding money all the way.

·
Ultraviolent
7,921 Posts
Helper springs compress fully with the weight of the car. They're there to only hold the main spring in place in case you lift a wheel off the ground or something. The point I was trying to across was that the Raceland coilover design is not inferior. AST, JRZ, Moton, Penske, Quantum, Bilstein, etc all use that design. Really the only high end damper manufacturer that uses that design are the Ohlin's that are made in Japan, not the older $wiss made ones.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
cheap coil-overs - yes
dampening adjust-ability - no
camber plates - no
true coil-over - no
2 year limited warranty - means you cant race, track, slam, drive like an idiot or drive any other way that will damage the coil. in other words its for show use only

this is not different than a coil-over sleeve for stock shocks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Helper springs compress fully with the weight of the car. They're there to only hold the main spring in place in case you lift a wheel off the ground or something. The point I was trying to across was that the Raceland coilover design is not inferior. AST, JRZ, Moton, Penske, Quantum, Bilstein, etc all use that design. Really the only high end damper manufacturer that uses that design are the Ohlin's that are made in Japan, not the older $wiss made ones.
I have no interest in raceland coilovers but as fuego said design is not inferior to any of the top end suspension designers in the world. Damper, Quality, etc... I have doubts about the racelands but people automatically assume no independent adjustment and no 30000 rebound adjustment that crosstalks like mad means it's not a real coilover. Remember when "coilovers" first came out to the public neither of the 2 options existed and they were called "Coilovers" anyways you can knock quality,customer service, durability but design is far from "inferior"

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
And now those are pretty much standard features. When cars were new they didn't have AC, Power steering, Air bags, seat belts, pneumatic tires, suspension, etc. Does that mean a Yugo is just as good as a Fusion or a Model A is just as good as a Rambler?

Those Racelands are going to be wallowy soft junk only fit for hard parking.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
only fit for hard parking.
Haha that's funny.

I'm going to preorder them pretty soon. It's really not a bad price and I'll be able to intelligently let you guys know how I feel about them. They may not look like the best coilovers but member yacob09 has modified Tc coilovers on his Celica and the ride isn't terrible. I'd assume the ones actually designed for the Celica's weight, center of gravity etc will feel better.

Also, I emailed Raceland and they said they currently have no immediate plans to develop more aftermarket parts for the Celica.

1 - 20 of 313 Posts